Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

le_cagou

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
Some calendars, the google* one being one example among many others, have the functionality to get notifications by email.

But that functionality seems to be only available when using the web interface for the calendar or the official google calendar app.

When using alternative calendar apps like BusyCal, Fantastical, the Apple calendar app, ... email notifications are not available. Only notifications via the iOS notification center. Even when picking a standard notification setting in google* calendar (e.g. notification always 3 days in advance by email for all events), those standard settings don't apply when using alternative calendar apps. They seem to override the standard notification settings.

Why is that? Is that a CalDav limitation? Does anyone know an iOS calendar app that supports notification by email?

[*just an example. I don't want to use the google calendar or the google calendar app. The service that I use has the same functionality as google, but there's not even an official app. So on the iPhone it's either web interface or a third party app.]

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yeah it's annoying. I haven't looked into workarounds for this in quite a while so if there's a new one I don't know about it.

I think the Google calendar extends the normal functionality of CalDAV in their own way. SMS notifications used to be an option but they eliminated that.

Most of my calendars are at Google but I don't like their iOS app. Also, choosing the Google Calendar app as "default" (in the app's settings) doesn't really work like you'd think it ought to.

I'm also wondering if someone knows of a calendar app that will sync the calendars on my iPhone and perform its own set (at least three) of notifications for existing events…email or otherwise.

Reactions: le_cagou

le_cagou

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
I noticed that for example BusyCal does show custom notification settings for events with email notification set via web interface:

"Alarm send email to <address> 09:00 the day before"

So in theory it should be possible to set such custom alarms within the app. In reality there's no option to do so. Which makes me wonder if there's an app out there with customizable alarm settings. If there is one, I haven't found it yet.

Reactions: pacorob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.