Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
For example, I’ll create an event with a 15-minute alert. But then a second 1-day alert will automatically be added later on. If I edit the event(s) and remove the alert, it automatically gets added back. Any idea why this is happening?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
For example, I’ll create an event with a 15-minute alert. But then a second 1-day alert will automatically be added later on. If I edit the event(s) and remove the alert, it automatically gets added back. Any idea why this is happening?
What are you default alert times set to?

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I
To test, I set my defaults to the same as yours, and I can't reproduce the error. FWIW I'm on 14.7.1. When did this start happening?
I’ve actually noticed it happen in years past. I’ll edit the first instance in a series of recurring events, then five minutes later, the 1 day before alert get added. Or, it may take hours. I’ve even tried deleting the event series and starting fresh, just one alert, but then somehow it tacks on that 1 day alert. Maybe it has something to do with it being on a shared calendar and an issue with syncing or something.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I’ve actually noticed it happen in years past. I’ll edit the first instance in a series of recurring events, then five minutes later, the 1 day before alert get added. Or, it may take hours. I’ve even tried deleting the event series and starting fresh, just one alert, but then somehow it tacks on that 1 day alert. Maybe it has something to do with it being on a shared calendar and an issue with syncing or something.
I think you're onto something with the shared calendar. Does it happen with non-shared calendars? I wonder if it might be a travel time alert for the other user. Just a guess though.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I think you're onto something with the shared calendar. Does it happen with non-shared calendars? I wonder if it might be a travel time alert for the other user. Just a guess though.
Sure enough, I opened my wife’s calendar, and there‘s the event with the single 1-day alert, even after I had changed it. So, I check my calendar and after a few minutes, it’s changed so that the 1-day alert is added a second alert. Any ideas on what I can do to prevent this from happening?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Sure enough, I opened my wife’s calendar, and there‘s the event with the single 1-day alert, even after I had changed it. So, I check my calendar and after a few minutes, it’s changed so that the 1-day alert is added a second alert. Any ideas on what I can do to prevent this from happening?
What happens if you set the defaults to none?

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
What happens if you set the defaults to none?
I set em to none on all our devices. Guessing that does the trick. We can manually enter alert times when needed. Will update with the results later. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.