Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
I keep getting international holiday notifications from my iOS Calendar App even though i am not subscribed to any calendars exept my iCloud one. It doesn’t really bother me but is there any way to disable this?

Happy Saint Paddys day by the way :)

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
bump it to the top
i forgot how to do this too

My calendar has been getting double entries for holidays, need to manage the clutter.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Go to bottom of calendar and tap “calendar”. A menu will show up and you can disable what you want. That is if your talking about the Apple calendar app and not 3rd party

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Go to bottom of calendar and tap “calendar”. A menu will show up and you can disable what you want. That is if your talking about the Apple calendar app and not 3rd party

Yes i am talking about the official app! I did it. I don't have any other calendar selected but my iCloud one. And still get Holiday notifications via calendar that i haven't entered in my calendar.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Yes i am talking about the official app! I did it. I don't have any other calendar selected but my iCloud one. And still get Holiday notifications via calendar that i haven't entered in my calendar.
Do you have any other calenders merged to your Apple calendar? I have a google calendar that’s merged and it lists it’s own holidays. I have to disable holidays one one of them or it lists holidays twice

Reactions: willmtaylor

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Do you have any other calenders merged to your Apple calendar? I have a google calendar that’s merged and it lists it’s own holidays. I have to disable holidays one one of them or it lists holidays twice

Nope never used any other calendar in my life... How would i see if there is another calendar merged?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Maybe I missed it, but, any 3rd party apps with a calendar function? Ie. Outlook, Fantastical etc?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I haven’t been getting those alerts and my iCloud “US Holidays” is turned OFF. However, you may try turning it ON, clicking the circled “i” to its right, turning off “Event Alerts”, and then turning the holidays calendar OFF again.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I’m getting any alerts or double entries, but I am a bit annoyed that suddenly the “U.S. Holidays” calendar includes tons of non-US holidays.

Starting with one of the 11.3 betas, I’m now seeing things like:

First Day of Ramadan
Eid al-Fitr
Eid al-Adha
Ashura
Diwali

That stuff never used to show up.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
I’m getting any alerts or double entries, but I am a bit annoyed that suddenly the “U.S. Holidays” calendar includes tons of non-US holidays.

Starting with one of the 11.3 betas, I’m now seeing things like:

First Day of Ramadan
Eid al-Fitr
Eid al-Adha
Ashura
Diwali

That stuff never used to show up.

I’m on 11.2.6, not using any betas and the same thing recently happened to me. I don’t think it has to do with the OS version but Apple pushing out more holidays to the shared calendar. I wish they didn’t do this or could turn it off as I’d like to only see US holidays.

mi cu

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
I keep getting international holiday notifications from my iOS Calendar App even though i am not subscribed to any calendars exept my iCloud one. It doesn’t really bother me but is there any way to disable this?

Happy Saint Paddys day by the way :)

I am sick and tired of the "forced" International holiday push. I can't even delete holidays I don't want to see. Apparently, we don't have the freedom within our own calendars to put in the holidays we want to follow. We are all aware of which holidays they have recently started to push, and I don't appreciate it. Quite honestly, it's like having big brother over your shoulder trying to control what you do at work and in your own home. I want a calendar that only I control on my "personal" computer, because it's a calendar only I use for the things I choose to use it for. If Apple wants to be helpful, make a button that allows a user to choose from several regional holidays (after all many of us have multicultural backgrounds). Stop force feeding us some global agenda! There are only a handful of holidays I follow, and I don't care to see holidays that other regions follow. The last time I looked, the United States Of America, was still free and free thinking. I also don't care to have all of my information uploaded into a cloud. I prefer to still have privacy on my computer, and under my own roof. If apps like calendar continue to control what we see, and what we do, I will find a company that will provide apps that give us the freedom to add what we want, or I will simply go back to paper files. Technology is a tool that should be fun and useful, not used to force feed us things we don't want to use or see.
[doublepost=1537554922][/doublepost]
I am sick and tired of the "forced" International holiday push. I can't even delete holidays I don't want to see. Apparently, we don't have the freedom within our own calendars to put in the holidays we want to follow. We are all aware of which holidays they have recently started to push, and I don't appreciate it. Quite honestly, it's like having big brother over your shoulder trying to control what you do at work and in your own home. I want a calendar that only I control on my "personal" computer, because it's a calendar only I use for the things I choose to use it for. If Apple wants to be helpful, make a button that allows a user to choose from several regional holidays (after all many of us have multicultural backgrounds). Stop force feeding us some global agenda! There are only a handful of holidays I follow, and I don't care to see holidays that other regions follow. The last time I looked, the United States Of America, was still free and free thinking. I also don't care to have all of my information uploaded into a cloud. I prefer to still have privacy on my computer, and under my own roof. If apps like calendar continue to control what we see, and what we do, I will find a company that will provide apps that give us the freedom to add what we want, or I will simply go back to paper files. Technology is a tool that should be fun and useful, not used to force feed us things we don't want to use or see.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[doublepost=1537554922][/doublepost]
There is a Holiday calendar that is provided, but you can always deselect it and not use it. You are always able to put in your own holidays into your own calendar, create a separate personal holiday calendar that you can use, and/or add/subscribe to another holiday calendar of your choosing. You can certainly use calendar without iCloud as well (as in just on your device) if you want.

mi cu

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
There is a Holiday calendar that is provided, but you can always deselect it and not use it. You are always able to put in your own holidays into your own calendar, create a separate personal holiday calendar that you can use, and/or add/subscribe to another holiday calendar of your choosing. You can certainly use calendar without iCloud as well (as in just on your device) if you want.

Of course, that is the easy answer.. My main point is being ignored.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Of course, that is the easy answer.. My main point is being ignored.
That there's a calendar that is simply being provided that you can easily select to use or not to use? Because there really isn't anything more to it than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.