Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Im trying to get a better understanding of how the calendar invitation works.
My email address is at yahoo (on the yahoo account I have only enabled email & contacts) and my calendar is on icloud (I do not have email or contacts enabled on this account).

When someone sends me an invitation and I accept, I am not seeing it on either account. I have logged into both webmail accounts and confirm that it is not entered into the calendar.

How does this work when your calendar is not on the same account as your email?

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
that's interesting, I have the same like yours, it'll show up in the calendar inbox, not in the email inbox. Coworker had an issue where there's no invite anywhere. had to logout from iCloud in iPhone, then log back then, then saw the invite.
Test this if this works: ask siri to create an appointment for you, and see what she says. in my case, i got an error which lead me to log out/in.

JackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Thanks for your reply. Siri was able to create the appointment. I tried logging out of everything and then back, but still have the problem. Just to clarify, the invite shows up in the calendar inbox. I just assumed it was using email as the method of communication to send the invite.

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
Thanks for your reply. Siri was able to create the appointment. I tried logging out of everything and then back, but still have the problem. Just to clarify, the invite shows up in the calendar inbox. I just assumed it was using email as the method of communication to send the invite.

yes it does use email to send the ics file, but the mail app is smart enough to add it to your calendar. you will not see it alone as an attachment in your mail inbox.
from what you describe, everything is working normal.

JackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Except for the fact that it the accepted invite never shows up on any calendar.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
  1. The first issue is that your email and calendar are different accounts. If the invitation is sent to @yahoo then there's normally no reason for it to show up in an iCloud calendar.
  2. Events not appearing in the Yahoo calendar might an iCloud to Yahoo issue (Are the invites from an iCloud user? If not, then what kind?). Invites from Exchange or Google will automatically populate a Yahoo calendar when accepted.
  3. Accepting an invite from iCloud (in Yahoo's desktop email web portal) opens a web page at iCloud.com with a link to download the event to your calendar. This is probably a built-in workaround for email/calendar systems that don't coordinate with iCloud in the best way.

JackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Thanks for your reply.

>The first issue is that your email and calendar are different accounts.
I agree. Other then exporting all of my cal events to yahoo (I dont want to have 2 active calendars as it is too easy to enter something into the wrong cal) is there a way to keep my yahoo email address and get icloud cal to work with invites? I was thinking about subscribing to the yahoo cal as it would be read only.

Most of the invites originate from Exchange, but after accepting most, if not all, never appear in either the yahoo or icloud cal.

>Accepting an invite from iCloud (in Yahoo's desktop email web portal) opens a web page at iCloud.com with a link to download the event to your calendar
At the moment I dont have an Exchange invite to test. What would happen if the invite originated from Exchange and was opened in yahoo web portal?

thanks

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
At the moment I dont have an Exchange invite to test. What would happen if the invite originated from Exchange and was opened in yahoo web portal?

For me it shows up as an invitation with options to reply with an accept/maybe/decline. If accepted, it appears in the Yahoo calendar.

The iOS Mail app doesn't work like that nor does the Yahoo Mail app or the Yahoo mobile site. Just looks like an attachment.

I don't know of any way to automatically accept invitations in Yahoo calendar.

This is a problem with being in separate mail and calendar ecosystems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.