Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penrua

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
I've run in to an issue when I create new calendar events in my Calendar (iCal) and invite Gmail based accounts. When I set the event, the Gmail based account will not receive any sort of invite and it does not appear on the Gmail calendar.

I've tested this out in various ways including:
  • Creating an event on 1) my iPhone, 2) my Macbook and 3) iCloud web - no invite will come through
  • Adding both my personal Gmail account & my work Gmail-based account - no invite comes through to either account
  • Creating events on my wife's iPhone inviting the same accounts, as well as my own iCloud one - the invite makes it to the iCloud email but not the Gmail
I've tried Apple support already and they weren't much help and told me to try Google (who don't have any sort of support system!)

Has anyone ever encountered such an odd issue?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I seem to recall that this is a long time issue with Google. Outlook has issues as well with sending to Google users.

One possible problem is that if the receiver has an Apple ID and are using their Gmail address for that user-id, the invites are going to their iCloud/Apple ID account. To correct that:

• Sign into iCloud.com via browser.
  • Calendar
  • Settings cog at lower left, then "Preferences", then "Advance" tab.
  • At bottom will be option to turn-off in-app notifications and send emails to the email address instead.

Reactions: penrua

penrua

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
I seem to recall that this is a long time issue with Google. Outlook has issues as well with sending to Google users.

One possible problem is that if the receiver has an Apple ID and are using their Gmail address for that user-id, the invites are going to their iCloud/Apple ID account. To correct that:

• Sign into iCloud.com via browser.
  • Calendar
  • Settings cog at lower left, then "Preferences", then "Advance" tab.
  • At bottom will be option to turn-off in-app notifications and send emails to the email address instead.

Yes! You've solved it!

My work email was used to create an iCloud account when setting up our work issued iPhones.

So I logged into the iCloud.com for my work iCloud, followed your steps and it came through!

Amazing. Thank you so much!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.