Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
I've just noticed the new feature in Messages where messages about events are detected as possible Calendar items and you get a suggestion at the top of the app, like you may have seen already in previous version of Mail.

I didn't use/notice this feature much in previous versions so have a few questions about it.

I'd really like for unconfirmed suggestions to appear in my Calendar but they don't, even though I think this is an intended feature based on the following two settings I've seen, which I have enabled:

1. Settings app > Calendar > Events Found in Apps = ON.
2. Calendar app > Calendars > Events Found in Apps = ON.

The text below the first setting says "Turning this off will delete any unconfirmed event suggestions and prevent suggestions from appearing in the Calendar app." This suggests to me they should appear in the Calendar before I explicitly add it based on the suggestion.

As Messages is new I thought perhaps it's a bug, but I tested it in Mail and I still see no suggestions in Calendar. It could be a bug in iOS 10 but I thought I'd ask people more familiar with the feature: have I misunderstood anything or is there something else I need to do to see this working?

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
I've just noticed the new feature in Messages where messages about events are detected as possible Calendar items and you get a suggestion at the top of the app, like you may have seen already in previous version of Mail.

I didn't use/notice this feature much in previous versions so have a few questions about it.

I'd really like for unconfirmed suggestions to appear in my Calendar but they don't, even though I think this is an intended feature based on the following two settings I've seen, which I have enabled:

1. Settings app > Calendar > Events Found in Apps = ON.
2. Calendar app > Calendars > Events Found in Apps = ON.

The text below the first setting says "Turning this off will delete any unconfirmed event suggestions and prevent suggestions from appearing in the Calendar app." This suggests to me they should appear in the Calendar before I explicitly add it based on the suggestion.

As Messages is new I thought perhaps it's a bug, but I tested it in Mail and I still see no suggestions in Calendar. It could be a bug in iOS 10 but I thought I'd ask people more familiar with the feature: have I misunderstood anything or is there something else I need to do to see this working?

I'm on iOS 9 and I swear that the email suggested events worked as you say it SHOULD when I first upgraded. However, it no longer works for me now, same as you. I feel as if some of the old proactive features are broken for some of us users.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've always found that in order for it to recognize something as a possible event it needed to be written a specific way. And because of that, it worked only half the time at best. I knew about it being added to Messages (it was briefly mentioned in the keynote) but I haven't had it trigger yet.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
I've always found that in order for it to recognize something as a possible event it needed to be written a specific way. And because of that, it worked only half the time at best. I knew about it being added to Messages (it was briefly mentioned in the keynote) but I haven't had it trigger yet.
I should clarify. The suggestions appear in Messages and Mail. The detection works and I get the option to add them to a specific calendar. However it was my understanding they'd appear as suggested/unconfirmed events in calendar (which has a dedicated calendar type for this) even without adding them.

I think it's just a bug in the beta.

Unless you mean there are two categories of suggested event, and only one goes in the calendar. Maybe I haven't triggered that sort yet?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I should clarify. The suggestions appear in Messages and Mail. The detection works and I get the option to add them to a specific calendar. However it was my understanding they'd appear as suggested/unconfirmed events in calendar (which has a dedicated calendar type for this) even without adding them.

I think it's just a bug in the beta.

Unless you mean there are two categories of suggested event, and only one goes in the calendar. Maybe I haven't triggered that sort yet?

I'm not what you mean by it should show up as a suggested event in Calendar. Are you meaning for when you do nothing in Mail/messages with the suggestion? Because if you accept and set up the suggested event from within Mail/Messages then it shows the event in Calendar.

Im not playing dumb or anything, just trying to get clear on exactly what you are saying. So that testing can be done.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
I'm not what you mean by it should show up as a suggested event in Calendar. Are you meaning for when you do nothing in Mail/messages with the suggestion? Because if you accept and set up the suggested event from within Mail/Messages then it shows the event in Calendar.

Im not playing dumb or anything, just trying to get clear on exactly what you are saying. So that testing can be done.
Yes, when you do nothing.

See setting 2 in OP. I can't see why this calendar type should exist if you have to explitly add an event to one of your calendars. based on a suggestion.

And the text under setting 1 in OP suggests there is such thing as an 'unconfirmed' suggestion- one it has suggested but you haven't explicitly added.

These two things lead me to believe there is a feature where these appear in calendar but the mechanic is obscured or buggy right now.

Hope that makes sense.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
See setting 2 in OP. I can't see why this calendar type should exist if you have to explitly add an event to one of your calendars. based on a suggestion.

And the text under setting 1 in OP suggests there is such thing as an 'unconfirmed' suggestion- one it has suggested but you haven't explicitly added.

These two things lead me to believe there is a feature where these appear in calendar but the mechanic is obscured or buggy right now.

Hope that makes sense.

I think I understand now. From in the Calendar app if you tap "Inbox" it should show New and Replied to events. But as you've concluded to, it's probably bugged or not fully implemented yet (beta 1)

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I thought it was supposed to appear in calendar too as an unconfirmed event. Like a meeting you haven't accepted yet. I'm 99% sure it's done so in the past, though I use Outlook now so it's been a while.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Thanks everyone. it's obviously totally acceptable to be buggy in the beta. It's just as it was new to me I wasn't sure if I misunderstood or did something wrong

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks everyone. it's obviously totally acceptable to be buggy in the beta. It's just as it was new to me I wasn't sure if I misunderstood or did something wrong

Good catch. I probably never would have noticed for a long time. So it's always nice to find out/figure out what's working and not working.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
Seems like it's been a 'problem' for a while: https://m.reddit.com/r/ios9/comments/3nwzzu/has_anyone_actually_gotten_events_found_in_mail/

I'm started to lean towards the idea that it's not a bug, and it's just that the mechanics of it aren't quite clear. Apple could be more open here.

There's a suggestion it only works on reservations. Maybe it's only when Apple are sure it's a worthwhile event, and not just friends casually suggesting a catch up. Calendar might fill up quickly if it added every one of those automatically. It could also pick up false positives. But if it limits itself to establishments where the email format is quite rigid, it can more safely add it to calendar. (Still in an unconfirmed state of course)

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2014
The problem is it is not just buggy in the beta. This was a feature of iOS 9 and it fails to work for me on iOS 9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.