Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
what the hell is "they" and the "problem" ?
The problem are many. They, are control.
[doublepost=1453471389][/doublepost]
No matter where you stand on the issue, the writing is on the wall. We are one media-glorified human trafficking story away from the sheeple running to the voting booth in fear. It's inevitable. There will be no privacy in the future.
[doublepost=1453423049][/doublepost]

Oh, this is inevitable. Most people don't really understand the issue, much less the tech, so they will vote from a fear-based point of view.
He'll there's no privacy now. They put a camera on everyone. Who do you think invented the Selfie? That's right. They did. They did it to keep an eye on you.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
There are pros and cons for both side. Good debate
Not really if you consider the fact that every time government uses the excuse of doing good, they end up doing bad more often than good. If a person is involved in human trafficking, then catch them doing the trafficking. This is simply a case of using an excuse to get more power that they think they can scare people into approving, which in the end only slightly reduces their effort required.

So all of us have to lose our privacy to backdoors that criminals can exploit, in order to catch some bad people that make up 0.00000001% of the population. That does not sound like a good trade off at all, no matter how offensive human trafficking appears. Its time we stood up to the government and said, "Enough is enough, just go do your job some other way."
[doublepost=1453474619][/doublepost]
If a warrant is required, then I'm actually okay with this. Obviously the police do need information to help fight crimes. There just needs to be restraints on WHEN they can do things like this, and WHAT kind of information they can actually use...
Needed a warrant never stopped the NSA, nor will it stop any government agency that believes it has a reasonable chance of hiding it, or getting away with with. That is the real way governments work and its been that way for 1000s of years. Please read some history.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
a clash of the clans... you can tell this is going to be bigger then Net Neutrality.....

Its like saying the government is a giant spy device like Google collects info based on ads, only on mass global scale..... now they also want their cake and eat it too....

Get this monkey off my back..now.

Companies want to use encryption, however, maybe the bigger issue is, "only the government wants to use encryption and no one else can"

ya, the government likes their cake :p They only want more.

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
There is no justification whatsoever for this. It's overreaching lazy law enforcement.

Actually their are plenty of justifications for law enforcement to be able to access phone data.

http://theadvocate.com/news/13069594-123/moore-cell-phone-encryption-is

Cellphone encryption practices could be keeping investigators from solving the murder of Brittney Mills and her son, East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore III said Saturday, but family members remain hopeful the truth will surface.

While they have tried to crack the phone using possible pass codes suggested by family members, investigators have been unsuccessful.

“We don’t know her code number,” Mills’ mother said. “It may very well be a very important part of the investigation.”

Mills’ “family indicated that she recorded all activity on her phone and join law enforcement in their frustration due to the inability to access this phone, that would in all likelihood provide information necessary to obtain justice and remove this murderer from the street,” Moore wrote.

“It’s really frustrating for us and people like the Mills family,” Moore said. “There’s a darn good chance that there is info on the phone that could be extremely helpful for us.”

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I'm so sick of these ******s. Have these politicians ever heard of the 4th amendment?

They have, especially the "unreasonable" p art which is the focus of the debate. They can already compel third parties to release information via a warrant, even if the individual refuses to release the information. Technology has advance far enough that individuals now have access to capabilities that required significant resources and specialized gear in the past.

I don't like the idea of a back door because, as T Cook rightly points out, once it's there it's there for anyone to use. I value my privacy but I also understand why law enforcement wants to be able to recover information to help solve or stop crimes. CA's law isn't the answer, however; especially since it would essentially mean building in backdoor access to any phone sold anywhere if it is also sold in CA; since a manufacturer cannot ensure a specific phone will not make its way to a retailer in CA (or NY) and be sold to an end user.
[doublepost=1453476443][/doublepost]
Law enforcement can request information (text messages, cloud data, etc.) from tech companies using... what was that thing called again? Ah yes, due process. Anything beyond that is completely unreasonable and beyond irresponsible.

The argument here is that when that request comes through, via a warrant, the cell phone manufacturers must be able to produce it, not simply say we don't have the keys.

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
No, human trafficking does NOT trump privacy. Nor does terrorism, or insulting Assemblymember Jim Cooper by calling him a pusillanimous pissant, or any number of other things.

It's beyond disgusting how people like you would rather have 13 year old girls raped and sold on a daily basis than give by human traffickers than gove law enforcement the tools to protect children and solve murders.

I wonder what you are so desperate to hide on your phone....

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
Due to political nature? These are some of the biggest morons on the face of this planet. Nothing political here. For showing such stupidity someone should beat them unconscious.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
But my point was that neither makes absolutely any sense in the context of the discussion.

And I think you missed his point: since you are likely violating multiple laws every day, law enforcement has no trouble coming up with a reason to search your phone.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
And I think you missed his point: since you are likely violating multiple laws every day, law enforcement has no trouble coming up with a reason to search your phone.

Or putting a bullet into your skull when you reach for your phone and saying they thought they saw a gun.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Actually their are plenty of justifications for law enforcement to be able to access phone data.

http://theadvocate.com/news/13069594-123/moore-cell-phone-encryption-is

Cellphone encryption practices could be keeping investigators from solving the murder of Brittney Mills and her son, East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore III said Saturday, but family members remain hopeful the truth will surface.

While they have tried to crack the phone using possible pass codes suggested by family members, investigators have been unsuccessful.

“We don’t know her code number,” Mills’ mother said. “It may very well be a very important part of the investigation.”

Mills’ “family indicated that she recorded all activity on her phone and join law enforcement in their frustration due to the inability to access this phone, that would in all likelihood provide information necessary to obtain justice and remove this murderer from the street,” Moore wrote.

“It’s really frustrating for us and people like the Mills family,” Moore said. “There’s a darn good chance that there is info on the phone that could be extremely helpful for us.”

Sorry. Still not justification. You'll never come up with a single case that trumps my right to privacy as guaranteed by the Constitution. Period.
[doublepost=1453478683][/doublepost]

The statement, "You have nothing to fear if you're doing nothing wrong" is so ridiculous on its face that those who appreciate irony actually find it funny.

I was being sarcastic on my original post. As clearly denoted by the sarcasm tag, which I put in for those who can't don't understand sarcasm when they read it. Apparently, the sarcasm tag isn't even blatant enough anymore...

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
God damn liberal politicians. Well California and New York, you're getting what you voted for.

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
Q
Sorry. Still not justification. You'll never come up with a single case that trumps my right to privacy as guaranteed by the Constitution. Period.
[doublepost=1453478683][/doublepost]

I dont think I have ever read a more clueless claim about the constitution in my entire life, you might want to read about the constitution before you decide to display such complete and utter ignorance again.

I am glad you would rather child rapists and murders get away with their crimes than give law enforcement the tools to bring justice to rape victims and murder victims. Because that's what it comes down to.

You must have some stuff you REALLY want to hide on your phone...

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
God damn liberal politicians. Well California and New York, you're getting what you voted for.

In the uk it's the conservatives who are pushing this.
[doublepost=1453479381][/doublepost]
Q

I dont think I have ever read a more clueless claim about the constitution in my entire life, you might want to read about the constitution before you decide to display such complete and utter ignorance again.

I am glad you would rather child rapists and murders get away with their crimes than give law enforcement the tools to bring justice to rape victims and murder victims. Because that's what it comes down to.

Well actually there is the big issue of fraud.

Andbecause everyone carries a camera everywhere makes it easier than ever to catch rapists and human traffickers.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

The Constitution specifically allows for reasonable searches and seizures when a warrant is obtained; so there is no absolute right to privacy. The question then becomes "what is reasonable when compelling someone to turn over information via a warrant?"

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
I'm ready to move out of CA. Housing is expensive, people here suck, taxes are ridiculous, Brown wasting billions on a stupid rail road that no one is going to use...I can go on an on.... But hey, we got good weed and the GS Warriors!

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
Ok California and NY residents - keep these representatives in your memory when their next election cycle comes around. They're obviously not intelligent enough to understand that these back doors can and will also be used by hackers.
Fat chance. Most voters, especially in CA and NY can't get past the "D good R bad" mentality and keep voting for the same people.

We don't need any more D or R.
We need to vote out all the D and R and take a chance on different parties.

Reactions: thewap

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Correct me if I'm wrong...

My iPhone wasn't encrypted put of the box. During set up it asked me to set a password for access beyond the lock screen and I declined that. If I have bad stuff on my phone and I'm arrested the cops can see all my iMessages, emails and photos without twisting my arm (or Apples) for access.

So, if I activate the encryption by establishing a passcode, wouldn't it be that the cops should have to get it from me, not Apple? I'm (potentially) the bad guy, not the phone. I would have the right to decline cooperation and they would have a long list of established procedures to convince me that's not a good idea.

Did I just say "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"?

BTW Human trafficking and underage prostitution is often sited by these politicians. Problem is that these activities aren't kept secret. They are openly advertised on the Net.

If Apple installs a backdoor, then true terrorists will write their own encrypted communication apps. If they can't get them to work on iOS, there's always Android and Windows Phone.

Dale

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
Just waiting for the FBI to run an operation that results in some sort of tragedy that "could have been prevented if Apple would have just unencrypted iMessage".

Wrong agency. The Obama administration will get someone in the State Dept. to do it.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Q

Yes, you're absolutely right. There is a bunch of stuff on my phone that I want to hide. From law enforcement, from you, from criminals, and from thieves. Because none of it is any of your business. Period. Your inference that just because I want my constitutionally protected privacy makes me somehow shady is exactly why you have absolutely no understanding of the meaning of the Bill of Rights.

You are, in fact part of the problem. You have no clue exactly how close your line of thinking is to fascism.

Reactions: thewap and robbyx

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Q

The good ol' "something to hide" meme; are you for real? Seems not?
You're sounding like surveillance state shill.

As for the "child rapists" (sic), why not use mass murderer while you;'re at it, come on do it,
go for broke with a over the top ridiculous throwback argument....

That's the same argument the conservatives in Canada used to try to ram a surveillance bill down our throat and even a large portion of their own party balked and then they were soundly defeated.

The god damn child rapists can jailbreak the phone in two seconds and install whatever app he wants to keep his crap private and the police can't do a thing about it, or simply have nothing on his phone, like most terrorists/criminals do because they talk in innocuous codes in plain view.

Criminals are highly motivated to keep their stuff private without Apple or anyone's help. Why? They're CRIMINALS.

So, criminal, still not found and everyone has given away the keys to their house. Lets just "hope" this security hole won't be compromised because of some other random chained exploits in the OS used by hackers... Like all existing jailbreaks... Hope and pray, that's the way to go.

The fact that mass non warrant based surveillance has occurred recently, that seizure of assets and data is done routinely with the flimsiest of justification by authorities, and people have to spend years to get it back (if they have the money to go to court), even when it was done abusively.... Well, lets just forget about that.

Minorities getting their privacy rights abused more, like it happens now... Hey, no problem (sic), the police is a benevolent entity in every single case (sic).

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
That is not what the bills require; they merely require ensuring the ability to search exists.

What they require is for everyone's life to be made less private and more dangerous for some ambiguous claim that there is somehow a sudden epidemic of people using cell phones to hide crime.

For those who would support this ridiculous line of thinking, how would you feel about the government being able to regulate who can own a paper shredder, or an incinerator?

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
That is not what the bills require; they merely require ensuring the ability to search exists.

Oh, right... Merely...
They have, especially the "unreasonable" p art which is the focus of the debate. They can already compel third parties to release information via a warrant, even if the individual refuses to release the information. Technology has advance far enough that individuals now have access to capabilities that required significant resources and specialized gear in the past.

I don't like the idea of a back door because, as T Cook rightly points out, once it's there it's there for anyone to use. I value my privacy but I also understand why law enforcement wants to be able to recover information to help solve or stop crimes. CA's law isn't the answer, however; especially since it would essentially mean building in backdoor access to any phone sold anywhere if it is also sold in CA; since a manufacturer cannot ensure a specific phone will not make its way to a retailer in CA (or NY) and be sold to an end user.
[doublepost=1453476443][/doublepost]

The argument here is that when that request comes through, via a warrant, the cell phone manufacturers must be able to produce it, not simply say we don't have the keys.

The problem is that Apple does not just sell phones in the US. It sells phone everywhere in the world.
How the hell will they feel if the US government, or even worse, any state government, has a backdoor into the system.
If you open it for one, you open it for EVERYONE. Even people you may not agree with.
A phone with a US backdoor could in fact contravene the law in another country if it doesn't have a back door when you travel there. If they enacted the same law there.
How would you feel about that? Need to carry a local phone when you travel?
Does Apple has all the keys; foreign governments has the keys?
Would Apple have to allow searches of phones in a country that could lead to someone getting executed, or jail for what they said.

This is something the insular dumbasses in the US don't seem to think about.

The fact it's quite easy for someone motivated to do so to encrypt anything, makes the whole "protect the children" (sic) argument completely ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.