Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Can a dev check to see if call blocking has been enhanced in iOS 11? I'm interested in blocking entire area codes and also numbers that don't have any caller id.

Thanks!

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Works only for call already received or made as with the spam I get - from recent press the i at the far right page down on next screen and should be block this caller. I know people would like to block before the first time call but this the only way I know is call the number hang up before call made and then do the thing from recent.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Works only for call already received or made as with the spam I get - from recent press the i at the far right page down on next screen and should be block this caller. I know people would like to block before the first time call but this the only way I know is call the number hang up before call made and then do the thing from recent.
I have an unknown caller all on my recents list but if I go into its details there's no block option or any option really at all since there's no phone number or other information available for it (aside form the time of the call and duration basically).

Fox8J

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Can a dev check to see if call blocking has been enhanced in iOS 11? I'm interested in blocking entire area codes and also numbers that don't have any caller id.

Thanks!
Making Android more & more appealing. Spam, Telemarketers, et. al. calling from my area code and exchange (9999 possibilities) are driving me crazy. Thought for sure iOS 11 would have allowed it.

babelsquirrel

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2017
Making Android more & more appealing. Spam, Telemarketers, et. al. calling from my area code and exchange (9999 possibilities) are driving me crazy. Thought for sure iOS 11 would have allowed it.

FWIW, Wideprotect allows blocking ranges of numbers, e.g. all numbers beginning with 206-555

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

iOS 11 does allow phone blocking through an extension. You just need to find the extension that works best for you. I personally use Robofence (was free for a day so I downloaded it). unwanted calls go directly to your recent calls without your phone ringing.

It also doesn't hurt to have your mobile number registered on the national do not call list.

https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/list-number-national-do-not-call-registry

Reactions: jagooch

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I'm trying the method where you turn on do not disturb all the time, but allows calls from people in your contacts or people who call you several times in a row.

Another trick is if you want to sent the call to voice mail, double tap the power/lock button on the side of the phone . It sends the caller straight to voice mail without the annoying reminder to call them back later that the onscreen button has.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm trying the method where you turn on do not disturb all the time, but allows calls from people in your contacts or people who call you several times in a row.

Another trick is if you want to sent the call to voice mail, double tap the power/lock button on the side of the phone . It sends the caller straight to voice mail without the annoying reminder to call them back later that the onscreen button has.

But DND blocks notifications?

Last edited:

webbga

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
But DND blows notifications?
There is a free app in the App Store called Hiya. I can block my area code and the first three digits of my number. If there isa number with this combination you want to exempt you can enter it. This has cut down my junk calls 90%! Give it a try.

Fox8J

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
I've been using Hiya for the past 9 months with mixed success. I just stumbled upon WideProtect, (available from the App Store) that enables wildcard blocking. I've only been using it for 4 days so the long term will tell. Has great reviews even though it is relatively new app. I've been able to block an area code and the first digit of a prefix. If a number in that area code/prefix combo is in my contacts, the text or call will come through.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.