Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skal1908

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2014
Hello,
I have got a Macbook Pro, purchased almost a year ago. Its in version 10.9.4 and it has 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3. This week I decided to play CoD2 again, but after like 5 minutes, it seems like my video card can't handle the game, which i don't understand why. I saw that the problem was already posted around may 2014, but i didn't see a solution. Maybe somebody can help me?
I have three pictures, but don't know how to post these.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2014-07-17 om 17.39.28.png
    Schermafbeelding 2014-07-17 om 17.39.28.png
    682.5 KB · Views: 821
  • Schermafbeelding 2014-07-17 om 17.41.56.png
    Schermafbeelding 2014-07-17 om 17.41.56.png
    699.8 KB · Views: 453
  • Schermafbeelding 2014-07-17 om 17.43.17.png
    Schermafbeelding 2014-07-17 om 17.43.17.png
    283.4 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
To post pictures you can upload them here as an attachment. Click Edit to edit your post, the Go Advanced and below the text box is a Manage Attachments button. You can upload the pictures here.

Also what are the specs of your MacBook pro, specifically the graphics?

here are the game requirements and graphics that aren't officially supported.

http://www.alvalentyn.co/#!Call-of-...ac/c2011/C5A48026-AE23-4FE6-9B68-16D4692842F0

Mac system requirements follows:
Operating System: 10.9.2 (Mavericks)
CPU Processor: Intel i3 (Dual-Core)
CPU Speed: 2.2GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 13 GB
Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 4850
Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 640M
Video Card (Intel): Iris
Video Memory (VRam): 512 MB
Peripherals: Macintosh mouse and keyboard
This game is not supported on volumes formatted as Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive)

NOTICE: The following video chipsets are unsupported for Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 2/3:
•ATI RADEON HD 2000 Series
•ATI RADEON HD 6490M, 6630M, 3870
•NVIDIA 9000 Series
•NVIDIA 320M, 330M
•Intel HD 3000, 4000, 5000

skal1908

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2014
Thanks for your fast reply.
I have uploaded the pics and the specs of the graphics is: Intel HD Graphics 4000

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Looks like either overheating artefacts, or the graphics card not support needed features and effects.

Although since it happens after around 5 minutes it might be due to the machine overheating. :(

I strongly suggest you email Aspyr Support and attach those screenshots. Maybe they can help.

skal1908

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2014
Will do that, thanks!
Although i find it hard to believe that a macbook newly purchased in 2013 can't play a game that is released in 2005 :(:(

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Will do that, thanks!
Although i find it hard to believe that a macbook newly purchased in 2013 can't play a game that is released in 2005 :(:(

It's likely your system is overheating, which would have nothing to do with the machine's age/ability to play the game overall.

AspyrSupport

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2014
RE: Call of Duty 2 graphics problems

Hey, skal1908:

Do you have the App Store, Steam, or disk release of COD 2 installed on your Mac? Is that graphic glitching occurring in single player, multiplayer, or both?

If you have the MBP equipped with both an Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia 650 video card, deselect the automatic graphic switching option in your System Preferences/Energy saver menu.

If you run into the problem after trying that, please open a support ticket with us directly so we can help you out. support@aspyr.com.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
If you have the MBP equipped with both an Intel HD 4000 and Nvidia 650 video card, deselect the automatic graphic switching option in your System Preferences/Energy saver menu.

If you run into the problem after trying that, please open a support ticket with us directly so we can help you out. support@aspyr.com.

Blair,

Based on the original post, the user has a dual-core i5 MBP, which would be the 13-inch model, so no switchable graphics.

skal1908

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2014
I have got a disk release of CoD2. The glitching is occurring in SP and MP mode.

MaxRF

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
Sorry skal, but its clear you are running a cracked version of CoD2.

Maybe you should contact the Blade Corporation for support ;)

Excuse me, but I have the same problem on a 13'' MacBook Pro with an Intel Core i7 2.9GHz model and I do have a valid CD Key from a CD version of the game.

As I see you work for Aspyr. In that case, I want to tell you that I believe you guys should give support to every game you released before the Mac App Store was launched.

Let me explain, I have the original Simcity 4: Deluxe version that was launched back in 2003 (PowerPC), which has a patch to work on Intel processors. Even with that patch, the game didn't work properly on my Mac, neither on Mountain Lion or Mavericks. As I saw the game re-launched on the App Store, I bought it and it happened to work flawlessly. However, I don't want to spend 20 bucks more on buying CoD 2 given the fact I already have it.

See ya!

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Excuse me, but I have the same problem on a 13'' MacBook Pro with an Intel Core i7 2.9GHz model and I do have a valid CD Key from a CD version of the game.

As I see you work for Aspyr. In that case, I want to tell you that I believe you guys should give support to every game you released before the Mac App Store was launched.

Let me explain, I have the original Simcity 4: Deluxe version that was launched back in 2003 (PowerPC), which has a patch to work on Intel processors. Even with that patch, the game didn't work properly on my Mac, neither on Mountain Lion or Mavericks. As I saw the game re-launched on the App Store, I bought it and it happened to work flawlessly. However, I don't want to spend 20 bucks more on buying CoD 2 given the fact I already have it.

See ya!

I totally here ya Max! Please give Support a shout and they would be glad to take a look for you.

In this case, skal is running a cracked version of COD2...meaning he stole it. The Blade Corporation I am referencing in my sarcasm is a known torrent group. He fibbed to everyone here stating that he had the disc version. Not cool.

We have some of the best customer support in the business, but we offer that support to customers ;)

To your point, we support everyone who purchases our games and regardless of when/where they purchased it OR even if we dont have rights to sell the title anymore (example Guitar Hero).

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
Actually i have the paid version from the AppStore and i can confirm that this happens all the time on Iris Pro Graphics cards.. works fine on AMD and Nvidia cards..

Maybe stop accusing people of torrenting your games and actually support/provide a fix for this issue.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Actually i have the paid version from the AppStore and i can confirm that this happens all the time on Iris Pro Graphics cards.. works fine on AMD and Nvidia cards..

Maybe stop accusing people of torrenting your games and actually support/provide a fix for this issue.

I'm not accusing. Its a fact as it is clearly stated in his system profile ;)

Notice this was his single post to this forum as well :mad:

I'm absolutely not denying that there is a bug here, I am simply stating that we dont provide support to folks who steal games.

If you are on a dual GPU machine, this is a known bug with MANY games as the Mac tries to switch back and forth between the Integrated chipset and the dedicated GPU (NVIDIA or ATI). Simply turn off "Automatic graphics switching" in the Energy Saver section of your preferences.

If you have a dedicated Iris Pro and are still seeing the issue, Support would be more than happy to dig into the problem for you :apple:

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
I'm not accusing. Its a fact as it is clearly stated in his system profile ;)

Notice this was his single post to this forum as well :mad:

I'm absolutely not denying that there is a bug here, I am simply stating that we dont provide support to folks who steal games.

If you are on a dual GPU machine, this is a known bug with MANY games as the Mac tries to switch back and forth between the Integrated chipset and the dedicated GPU (NVIDIA or ATI). Simply turn off "Automatic graphics switching" in the Energy Saver section of your preferences.

If you have a dedicated Iris Pro and are still seeing the issue, Support would be more than happy to dig into the problem for you :apple:

This is the MacBook Pro 11,2 with Iris Pro only

dr.zeissler

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
final solution for the cod2 glitch on hd4000 and perhaps up (iris) ?
COD4 and the newer games are OK, but COD2 is broken, on HD3000 everything was OK.

xyxyx

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2021
I had the same issue on the cod2 demo. I realized that it only effected some models as you walked around.
Narrowed it down to the "S" Models, presumably Scaling Models. I also found a simple fix.
Go into options and game options and check enable console. Press a bunch of keys until the console opens.
Enter the console command: r_smc_enable 0
No clue what it does, but it worked. ;)

dr.zeissler

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Thx, I found another solution. I bought COD2/4 again on Steam. These later versions were fixed for HD4000/Iris and also were fixed on shadows on intel-igp. But I think the textures are slightly better/crisper on the earlier versions that only ran up till HD3000.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.