Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I'm not sure if it's a settings issue, a carrier issue or something else, but calling my moms iPhone 12 always goes straight to voicemail.
We tried calling her phone from the landline and it rings, but calling her iPhone from my iPhone always goes straight to voicemail.

She says other people are able to get through and have her phone ring!

I tried looking in the settings and phone app, but didn't really see much to change voicemail settings, as I though maybe she was able to set my number to go straight to voicemail.
I tried updating phone our phones, but it didn't do anything.

Anyone know what's going on or what I can try?

Reactions: antiprotest

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Would it go straight to voicemail if she has?
I am actually not sure. I thought there would be no trace that the blocked person called at all, and the person would not be able to leave a voicemail. But I might be wrong.

Are you able to text her phone number via SMS or iMessage?

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Does she have Do Not Disturb or any of the Focus things set up?

I know when I call my sister, and only her, the first time I call goes straight to voicemail and then I have to call a second time to get through -- she has DND set up most of the time due to work and then when she's off work she is recovering so keeps it on, and it's always like that. I believe she selects the contacts to allow through the second time, but I dont use it so not too sure

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
If I’m understanding correctly, it sounds like others call her iPhone and it rings but your call to her iPhone goes straight to voicemail? If so, I doubt this would be a voicemail setting. It has something to do with your contact entry. I would have her delete the entry and re-enter you as a contact. Let me know if this fixes it.

Reactions: Ntombi

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Check to see if do not disturb is off
Then try rebooting the phone.
Verify she is on the latest iOS
The checking settings > general > about > carrier and see if there is a carrier up date.
If worse comes to worse reset network settings.

zecanard

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2022
Longmont, CO
One thing to watch for is whether you go straight to voicemail, or whether it rings once before sending you to voicemail. Going straight to voicemail means it’s at the carrier level. Having a brief delay before you go to voicemail means it’s the phone doing this.

I find it unlikely it would be DND/Focus, since everyone else is able to call her phone while yours is being rejected. She would have had to set up Focus, then change her allowlist to a blocklist with just you in it.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Has she accidentally blocked you?
My dad and wife accidentally have do not disturb turned on without realizing. This has happened multiple times the focus modes aren’t really clear for some nontech people. I wish there was a way to disable it.

Reactions: robotica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.