Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Another great series from Apple TV+. This one is by far the weirdest.

Apple_TV_Calls_key_art_16_9-H-2021-1616083092-928x523.jpg

Last edited:

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
Every single one of these episodes is chilling.
I agree! I’ve only listened to the first two so far and I’m really liking it as it forces you to use your imagination quite a bit since we’re only presented with the audio and no visuals.
Of the two I’ve heard, I like the second one more than the first. I’m really looking forward to catch up on the others.

Reactions: AustinIllini

Mac... nificent

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
It's simply a modern-day version of the 1938 "The War of the Worlds".

Different topic obviously.

I'm waiting for the spinoff - Robocalls.

When spam callers call people and they are horrified because they can't make it stop...

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve not read thread yet for fear of spoilers but....

Probably already been said, but this is GREAT with spatial audio.

Started watching it on the big screen and immediately thought, hmm, this will benefit hugely from spatial audio, so I watched the first ep in a dark room on my 12.9” iPP with my AirPods Max.

Oh my! Fantastic. I’ll do the same for all the other episodes.

The next Apple TV hardware - if it ever happens! - will be an instant purchase for me based purely on it having (presumably) spatial audio support. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be interested, I’ve even learned to tolerate the Siri remote since I put it in a rubber case*.

*Putting aside the sheer lunacy of a case for a remote control lol

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Every single one of these episodes is chilling.
Yep, I quite enjoyed it. I watched one after one episode in one day. The concept is something different and I was not sure that it would hold my interest but it definitely did.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I did not see it as the universe reset per se so much than I saw it that some things that had happened the last 9 months (from February till December 30) had changed.
I think the ending might have been the weakest of the episodes but it's still a great finish.

I think I liked Episode 1 the best.
Interesting. I liked the ending. It was not my favorite episode, but I would not call it the worst. I hated the 5th one. Floyd whining annoyed me. If you don't mind why you did not like the ending?

Ok so bear with me and my chaotic weird thoughts in terms of the ending and how I imagine it in my head :D.
  1. We know that in the Episode 1 timeline of events Tom visiting Sara died because the universe wanted to balance itself out
  2. We know that in the Episode 1 timeline of events Camila visiting Tom was not correct and the universe corrected itself by killing her.
  3. In episode 1 Sara was supposed to visit Tom, in the finale Tom was supposed to visit Sara
  4. In episode 1 Camila called twice Tom from two different phone lines (one was unknown).
I took this to mean that in those last 9 months there was some interference in the calls between Tom and Sara and Tom and Camila. This interference (imagine timeline differences that would cause misunderstandings and conflicts and discussions) drove a wedge between Tom and Sara. I was not surprised that the ending would be like this because the first episode ended with Tom saying Sara that he loves her. In the time of an apocalypse he turned to Sara, not Camila and he experienced the end of the world with her. I took this to mean that when there are no calls from different time dimensions there would be no Camila/Tom.

The reasons I did not find the ending the best episode ever are two:

1. When Wheating and her co-worker looked for her father they called in the future (February 2021). So back at that point (even before her talk with the dad) the apocalypse was prolonged as there were people living in February 2021. That was for me weird and not explained.
2. The theory was flawed in itself. Her father was supposed to work for the government to intercept communication using time alternate universes. Why would you intercept communication if not to change events? If this was done then the universe would have collapsed even then and yet he was working on that. This did not make sense.

biker74

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
Scotland
Yeah, something a bit different. It is really creepy. I like episode 2 the best.
I know this is like a visual radio type play and that’s the the point. However, it would make a great film.

Tsubame

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
I liked this way more than I expected to from the pitch.

Not every episode hit as hard as each other, but I do really like the way it went from being a serial series to something that mostly tied together. Sort of reminded me of AHS in that way.

Reactions: AustinIllini

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I liked this way more than I expected to from the pitch.

Not every episode hit as hard as each other, but I do really like the way it went from being a serial series to something that mostly tied together. Sort of reminded me of AHS in that way.
The nature of it is such a slow burn. Underrated overall.

tsukeyomi

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
I loved this show, I really really hope they will do a season 2 or something like this again.

Reactions: 211
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.