Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
I am posting this as Windows as although a Mac client hasn't been ruled out, I'm guessing the chances are slim.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with Dark Age of Camelot but the same person who created it is making this game. So far it is shaping up to be a sandbox MMO that will have a heavy PvP focus, heavy crafting focus, horizontal leveling and what looks to be a pretty awesome building system.

Right now, it is in the kickstarter stages but I'm hopeful that i'll be funded.

I'm at the stage that I refuse to play any game that isn't OSX but I think I'd make an exception for this game.

Reactions: JamesGoblin

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Dark Age of Camelot was my favorite MMO when it came to PvP. Out of the various MMOs I used to play, I definitely had the most fun when playing DAoC. I'm curious as to what will happen, if anything, with this new game. I'm not into MMOs anymore but I'd be tempted to try this one.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
played daoc for 4+ years. that was my first pvp experience and what got me to like it. however i did not care for all the changes to the maps ect. I played basically the day it was released. so i was there for all the changes. balancing was also a huge issue. they also ruined the experience by making you grind in an expansion pack otherwise you couldnt compete. a lot of different things ruined that game.

kickstarter is here

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Last edited:

leenak

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
I was told I couldn't link the KS page but there is a couple other sites that provide info (most are on the KS page)
http://camelotunchained.com/en/

And there is a fan created FAQ that has a lot of info
http://camelotunchainedfaq.wikispaces.com/Camelot+Unchained+FAQ

And I definitely agree with balancing and DAoC, balancing always seems to be an issue. From the comments, I think a lot of balancing issues came from having 33 classes total and trying to balance PvP vs PvE. Since the balancing here is only towards PvP (there is PvE but no PvE leveling/raids/etc), then hopefully it will be better.

Last edited:

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
well guild wars 2 offers most of what Camelot unchained offers without the monthly fee. you get simple pvp skirmishes or you get world vs world which is server vs server vs server which is similiar to realm vs realm design.

you do not have to level to pvp or world vs world you automatically go to max level when you go to the battlegrounds. everyone has a heal spell and can rez so the battles last 100 times longer.

camelot unchained is a cool idea but in a way it already exists in a better form. and yes i do feel guild wars 2 is as epic and better then daoc was.

server vs server is alot easier to balance. if one server rvr more then the other then you can change which server is matched up against them. with 3 realms on the same server you multiply the problem by 3 because you run into one realm rvr more then the other or having more players on one realm or worse more players on 2 realms and one realm is left to lifelong struggle.then you have to do what daoc did and hack a server cluster to try and balance the players for each realm. then your multiplying the problem by 3 realms for every server in the cluster.

Last edited:

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
you are correct, but GW play style isn't to everyone's liking. i, personally, like leveling up (though not in a frustrating fashion like WoW). anyway, CU sounds great (i like their idea of crafting mechanism) and i hope they'll make a mac version

Last edited:

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I didnt know this thread was still alive. I dont have a great feeling about another mmo. The mmos are a dime a dozen none really excelling at anything in particular. If Chamelot Unchained knew what was good for them they would change their game to a 3 realm moba. Moba is where all the pvp's are these days. It would be much easier to balance and less server load on quick skirmishes. quick skirmishes are nice especially when you know you cant get rolled from 100 people at once. Coming from a pvp player moba games are where its at. There are so many reasons why a moba is better then what daoc was.

Last edited:

JamesGoblin

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2016
I didnt know this thread was still alive. I dont have a great feeling about another mmo. The mmos are a dime a dozen none really excelling at anything in particular. If Chamelot Unchained knew what was good for them they would change their game to a 3 realm moba. Moba is where all the pvp's are these days. It would be much easier to balance and less server load on quick skirmishes. quick skirmishes are nice especially when you know you cant get rolled from 100 people at once. Coming from a pvp player moba games are where its at. There are so many reasons why a moba is better then what daoc was.

It's very hard to agree with many things you are saying. MOBA market is heavily saturated (and I don't like any of these), and MMOs...there is only a couple on the market - and none of them is too appealing.

While I'm here, a bit of brave new (procedurally generated alpha) CU world - https://vine.co/v/iYrvWnrrKML

JamesGoblin

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2016
there is only about 8 MOBA that I know of. Search for MMO and there is a online list of over 70.

A couple good/big MOBAs are enough, thou there is more. But main point is that popular casual-friendly short fights is exactly what CU is trying to avoid, they are very niche and well aware of that. That is, not many enjoy fights type of Warhammer Online or DAoC. That's cool - and this game is simply not for them.

When I say "a couple MMOs", I am well aware of all kinds of MMO "lists" - great deal of these are mere multi/co-ops, often basically just single players, with engines having hiccups already with low two-digit player numbers on screen. But that's OK because these are just not designed for massive content, which somehow survived in their names.

Camelot Unchained is going to be MMO in the real, classical sense of that word - they aim for servers with 5 000+ concurrent players on maps bigger than, say, what WoW currently has, after all of it's Xpacks. All that with engine enabling fights of 1 000+ (yes, that's four digits) players in the small area, and many other quite complex features.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
A couple good/big MOBAs are enough, thou there is more. But main point is that popular casual-friendly short fights is exactly what CU is trying to avoid, they are very niche and well aware of that. That is, not many enjoy fights type of Warhammer Online or DAoC. That's cool - and this game is simply not for them.

When I say "a couple MMOs", I am well aware of all kinds of MMO "lists" - great deal of these are mere multi/co-ops, often basically just single players, with engines having hiccups already with low two-digit player numbers on screen. But that's OK because these are just not designed for massive content, which somehow survived in their names.

Camelot Unchained is going to be MMO in the real, classical sense of that word - they aim for servers with 5 000+ concurrent players on maps bigger than, say, what WoW currently has, after all of it's Xpacks. All that with engine enabling fights of 1 000+ (yes, that's four digits) players in the small area, and many other quite complex features.

well good luck to them ever getting that many on screen with a decent frame rate. they couldn't in the past there is no reason for me to think they could now. Hell even their towns in daoc lagged bad due to poor geometry used. Out in the zones it never could sustain even 400 people moving around and casting different spells never mind 1000. This is why most of the armor in daoc looked the same aside from color changes the only difference in types of armor you could get were chain leather. Maybe 4 types of armor based on what class you had then the only difference was color. they never had special armor sets because its to much variety for the server to have to load. Good luck to them anyway but I dont expect much.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
A LONG time ago I played the hell out of DAoC, both on the Mythic servers (Palomides mainly) and some free shards. Had such a good time, but I didn't like a lot of the changes (even before EA bought them) that were brought about. I have to admit though I'm interested in looking at this some...

JamesGoblin

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2016
well good luck to them ever getting that many on screen with a decent frame rate. they couldn't in the past there is no reason for me to think they could now. Hell even their towns in daoc lagged bad due to poor geometry used. Out in the zones it never could sustain even 400 people moving around and casting different spells never mind 1000. This is why most of the armor in daoc looked the same aside from color changes the only difference in types of armor you could get were chain leather. Maybe 4 types of armor based on what class you had then the only difference was color. they never had special armor sets because its to much variety for the server to have to load. Good luck to them anyway but I dont expect much.

Their engine is already a real monster, I mean - as early as last year it was already able to handle 3000+ players / bots in a small area, size of a battleground. They tried to crash the server, but it survived. Again, no typo - it's four digits.

Now, these were naked models, and numbers with gear and spells/effects/environment/collision etc. were (info from last December) "only" 800+ and these are growing over time, as stuff gets optimized. They will have problems elsewhere (box price + sub, low PvE...), but engine and large scale performance is certainly not a weak point.

A LONG time ago I played the hell out of DAoC, both on the Mythic servers (Palomides mainly) and some free shards. Had such a good time, but I didn't like a lot of the changes (even before EA bought them) that were brought about. I have to admit though I'm interested in looking at this some...

Same story here, with one slight difference - I am coming to CU from Warhammer Online. Played it till the very shutdown, till the last second, and enjoyed the hell out of it. Speaking of "looking at this one", they will have open beta - likely sometime 2017, Q2 would be my wild(ish) guess.

*removed long post to prevent balance argument*

Haha, I did it so many times! Writing a detailed textwall with links and whatnot, and then just having that moment of "Wait, do I really want this?" :)

JamesGoblin

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2016
The game finally starts looking like something from 21st century, couple recent screenshots:

a63579ab-0c09-463a-aba5-37dd600fa8d6.jpg

6d76b6e3-a35e-4b9b-83ac-80caf8d96409.jpg

96583c89-36e9-43fc-9ef0-1c29c80eec91.jpg

378102cc-d1f6-4dc3-8c26-f7b15f326be1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.