Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snaganaga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2014
Mt. Pleasant, SC
I currently have a 13" MacBook Pro. A GoPro hero 4 with accessories. A Skylab gimbal and soon a dslr.

I need a bag that will hold everything nice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Joe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I currently have a 13" MacBook Pro. A GoPro hero 4 with accessories. A Skylab gimbal and soon a dslr.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Joe
Harder to recommend bags than it is cameras.
Personally I use a Lowpro flipside 400. There website has a good feature where you tick what you want to carry and it shows you your options.
Then of course you have to choose the style and price point your happy with.

Reactions: phrehdd

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
You can check out cambags.com to get ideas. Finding a bag for all your gear can be hard. I like to have several options. If I'm traveling with my MBP on a flight I will put the Mac in my carryon luggage which has a compartment for a laptop. My camera gear is in Crumpler Proper Roady which can hold an iPad, 3-4 lenses, and DSLR. I found it on Ebay from a UK camera shop. The US equivalent is the Crumpler Million Dollar bag. The difference between the two is that the Proper Roady has a back pocket vs 5-6 Million dollar doesn't. If I'm just traveling with my DSLR and one lens I will use my Timbuk2 backpack.

If you want a backpack style, I would go with either Lowepro or Think Tank.

What I look for is ruggedness and weather proof. Crumpler and Timbuk2 are my favorites. Both have held up well and show no signs of wear and tare. I look for the flaps covering the gear (no water getting inside). Plus is that my Crumpler bag doesn't scream camera bag. Customizable. My Crumpler bag has dividers that allow me to customize the bag to what gear I have.

Good luck. lol I'm laughing cause there are ton of choices.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Wow, tough one...

I have a combination depending on mood, journey and kit load out. Before I start, this is because I am easily tempted by gadgetry and shiny things, not because I am some elitist pro photog who has multiple kit load outs ready to go at a moments notice (you all knew that anyway). Now this works for me, you are different, just food for thought.

Typically my approach is that of lightest, slimmed down load as possible in all scenarios i.e. I am not the type to carry "just in case" items, I am more in the "make do camp" - maybe that is why I suck at this... hmm... :eek:

1. I use this one for travelling long distance where I need my laptop for work and gear for play. This one served me very well on my recent hiking trip to the USA. Also has a funky expanding pocket for a compact tripod. I used it for carrying water when hiking and strapped tripod to the outside as would rather lose my tripod than water over the edge of the ridge. Surprisingly capacious. http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-advanced-travel-backpack/p1557182

2. I use this one the most and when knocking about on short trips or where I have the car with me and can leave stuff in the boot. I can get a mirrorless body - A7Rii, 70-200 f4, 55mm and maybe another lens, Pixi tripod (mini), wallet, phone, spare batteries and a few filters. It opens at the top so I can keep my camera in there and take it in/out as needed so more secure but less hassle than the backpacks when getting it out often. There is a pouch at the back which I can get my surface pro 3 in at a push or a tablet easily. http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-pixi-messenger-bag-black/p1586381

3. This one was my previous day pack. Great bag, still got it and it is great but got tempted away by the messenger above. Doesnt have a pouch for a laptop though and the non-camera compartment is not that big for additional gear. http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-kata-3n1-22-dl-sling-backpack-black/p1607494

4. I use one of these for a single camera, single lens load out in my work overnight bag. http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-nx-shoulder-bag-csc-grey/p1610258

Probably no use so sorry, but these are what I use and don't struggle (for my needs, YMMV). All have taken a soaking over the time I have had them and all of them come with water repellent covers you pop over them as needed.

Good luck choosing. I hope you find what you need.

Last edited:

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
I use this bag

https://www.manfrotto.us/nbsp-717f75

and love it.

Good Points :
- Holds loads (15" MBP, iPad, chargers and extra lenses)
- Lots of access means it's all easy to get to
- Good padding to keep my kit safe
- Comfortable on the back, even if fully loaded
- Kept my kit dry in all sorts of weather

Bad Points
- Sometimes it's too big when I want to travel light, but then it's not designed to be a 'day bag'

As it can hold it all, sometimes it's heavy. At the moment I just leave the stuff I don't need at home to lighten the load, but I'm thinking of getting a smaller bag for short off trips. Going to check out Kenoh's suggestion (#4 in his list) I think...

Reactions: kenoh

jw12345678

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
UK

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Joe

One major factor to consider is your back. It's the curse of modern photography that we are now carrying more weight than ever before, and are already seeing the effects with more and more photographers developing back problems as they age.
This is why I'd recommend a rucksack rather than a shoulder bag. In particular my favourite is the think tank Shapeshifter. It's got proper straps, including the one across the front, can be adjusted for size, but more importantly holds the weight in pouches against the back when worn. It easily accommodates a laptop, and/or iPad, and for plane journeys fits nicely into one of their rolling suitcases. I regularly use it to carry a full kit of two pro dslrs, a couple of zooms, flashes and even an Xpro2 alongside my 15" MacBook.
The downside is that it's not a grab and shoot bag - you have to unpack stuff to assemble cameras and lenses, etc, but when you are working you need your cameras on your shoulders anyway, not in a bag.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I use this bag

https://www.manfrotto.us/nbsp-717f75

and love it.

Good Points :
- Holds loads (15" MBP, iPad, chargers and extra lenses)
- Lots of access means it's all easy to get to
- Good padding to keep my kit safe
- Comfortable on the back, even if fully loaded
- Kept my kit dry in all sorts of weather

Bad Points
- Sometimes it's too big when I want to travel light, but then it's not designed to be a 'day bag'

As it can hold it all, sometimes it's heavy. At the moment I just leave the stuff I don't need at home to lighten the load, but I'm thinking of getting a smaller bag for short off trips. Going to check out Kenoh's suggestion (#4 in his list) I think...

Unless you are shooting mirrorless, number 4 is too small. Number 4 is great for either a Leica M and 2 lenses or the Sony and 2 short length lenses with a light strap coiled in next to it. Useless for anything else IMHO. It really is just for a bare-bones load out.

Number 2 however may be the winner for you. I love it for a light load out and it can be crumpled up into a suitcase if needed.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Agree with others that bag choice is super personal and while you can list the gear you want to be able to carry, *how* you carry it is what makes the difference. Some people like backpacks, some like messenger. Are you a neck strap or hand strap person? Do you keep your camera out or do you keep it in the bag until you need it? You get the idea.

That said - I am also in the market for a new bag and this one from Peak Designs is the one I'm probably going to get along w/ a Field Pouch. They have a backpack and messenger as well that look really nice. I have their strap & anchor system for my DSLR and m43 cameras and I have to honestly say it's the first time I was totally happy with a strap system. It's incredibly versatile and comfortable with lots of thought on organization. They make quality stuff.

Anyway, that's my .02

Last edited:

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
http://www.mindshiftgear.com/

I've become a fan of these bags. I believe they are owned by Think Tank. I have an Ultra Light Dual 36 and it's been great as a camera pack that doubles as a hiking backpack. It's also a perfect size as a carry on. It's been very comfortable so far. That's usually my biggest complaint with camera bags. They seemed to be marketed / designed for look how much stuff you can carry (more pockets, straps, and zippers please!) versus designed for function, environment or purpose.

I really like their line of rotation bags as well but I didn't want the extra weight.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I have a combination depending on mood, journey and kit load out. Before I start, this is because I am easily tempted by gadgetry and shiny things

This has been my approach and for the same reason. Downside is that I can no longer criticise the Mrs about her collection of handbags. :(

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
This has been my approach and for the same reason. Downside is that I can no longer criticise the Mrs about her collection of handbags. :(
I learnt long ago to never criticise Mrs AFB about any of her purchases, as mine are considerably more expensive! And I'm not just talking about my photography gear.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Before I start, this is because I am easily tempted by gadgetry and shiny things...

Now imagine being a female photographer who likes gadgets, shiny things, AND bags. I've got handbags and camera bags for all occasions. My closet is not a pretty sight. :rolleyes: :(o_O

Reactions: kenoh and phrehdd

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I'm a bag whore lol. You can't just have one bag for your gear. I think have 3 plus my messenger bags double as camera bags. Don't go cheap cause you are carrying $$$ gear. These camera bag treads will go on and on.

@OP you can check online photography magazines to see what they have reviewed. Lowepro and Manfrotto have a nice site that will show you what their bags can hold.

http://www.popphoto.com
http://www.cambags.com

OzBok

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Work out your eventual camera kit. Full frame crop sensors and mirrorless, micro 4/3 are all gonna mean different space needs. I bought a bag with my full frame, only took a couple new lenses to make that one unuseful for carrying all the kit. You'll no doubt end up with a couple, I'm now looking for number three.. as number 2 a Lowepro is no longer suitable and like others here, the mindshift bags are standing out as the way to go

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
I have bought loads of bags over the years, from most of the leading brands.

I have now settled on billingham bags and have a few different sizes depending on how much gear I want to take

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I have bought loads of bags over the years, from most of the leading brands.

I have not settled on billingham bags and have a few different sizes depending on how much gear I want to take

And a second mortgage to pay for them?!?! :)

They are really nice but my word they are expensive!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.