Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

P4ulypops

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2014
Web Developer
Hi All,

I'm going to Hospital for a big op, at the end of the month - and i'll be in there for a couple of weeks...

I have a iPad Pro, and a USB3 hard drive filled with video-content i've aquired over the years; MKVs, MP4s, AVIs... I'm not sure of all the formats, but Plex plays them all.

I was wondering, is there anything I could use to transfer them to my iPP back'n'forth? I was thinking the new USB3 Camera Adaptor and something like VLC would be perfect.

If anyone has any tips on how to do this; sans laptop; it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

- PP

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
As far as I am aware hard drives do not work with a USB adaptor. I would suggest a portable wireless router (such as a HooToo) which you can use to share the drive locally. I believe VLC can access networked drives which solves that part :)

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
With the Apple adapter you're very limited, it is possible to attach *some* USB drives, but not hard drives and transfer videos of a compatible format. If you create a DCIM folder and name each video as if it were taken by a camera. Hardly ideal and less than perfect.

Your far better getting one of the many available Lightning drives, or one that creates its own WiFi hotspot, then you can do what you like. I like the Kingston G3 MobileLite Wireless. You can connect any USB drive or SD card to it and transfer wirelessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.