Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
iPhone 15 Pro

(issue observed under iOS 17.1.1 and 17.1.2)

The first few times it happened, I just figured it was something I had done, like an accidental swipe. However, I was driving with the phone on a MagSafe charger and there was nothing near any of the buttons or screen. Suddenly my phone screen, which was in Maps and navigating, switched over to the camera all by itself.

I'd blame "Siri" picking up words from a conversation, but it's also happened while I've been alone and not talking. I am going to force it to "Hey Siri" to see if this helps.

Last edited:

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Today I am holding my phone while on a speaker call. I also have the Messages app open to a message thread, and my thumb is hovering near the left edge of the screen over a white area behind message bubbles. While setting my phone down face up onto my desk, just as the right edge of my phone touched the desk, my thumb may have brushed the left edge of the screen, and then bam, the camera app opened up all by itself. Since I was in the act of setting my phone down I was looking at it the entire time, nothing popped up and nothing on the screen was touched by my thumb except for the white area behind the message bubbles. It appeared as if the Camera slid over from the right side. However, no amount of touching, bumping, tapping, or swiping is able to reproduce this.

Last edited:

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Did you by chance set the back tap feature to open the camera? Check Settings -> Accessibility -> Touch -> Back Tap.

No. I had that set to the flashlight and it was the most incredibly useless and terrible experience.

EDIT: LOL... I checked anyway because I wanted to completely disable since it sucks so bad. You were correct. Camera was set to double-tap and flashlight was set to triple-tap. Changing them both to NONE right now. Thank you!

Last edited:

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Did you by chance set the back tap feature to open the camera? Check Settings -> Accessibility -> Touch -> Back Tap.
I just decided to check into this and didn’t think I tapped it but it may have interpreted my movement as such.

Thanks for the reminder from the past!

Reactions: ManuCH
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.