Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
For those who have an iPhone that is not one of the select few that has ProRAW capabilities (12 Pro, 13 Pro, or 14 Pro), is there a camera app that can be purchased that will essentially do what ProRAW does- take HDR RAW images?

I have done some searching and all I can find is the Lightroom Mobile app, that indeed does HDR photography in RAW "DNG" format- but it seems rather basic with so-so results. Is there anything else out there that is more advanced that comes close to what ProRAW is able to do?

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Camera+ has the ProRAW option.
I looked it up on the Camera+ website, and this functionality, like it is on other apps (such as Halide) is really just the app reaching out and utilizing Apple's ProRAW functionality. It only works on iPhones that already have ProRAW built in (12 pro, 13 pro, 14 pro).

I was curious if any app simulated this on its own, and would work on phones that do not have ProRAW functionality (such as the regular 13, the SE, etc.)

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
ProRaw is a proprietary thing for Apple and as such some app can’t just use it all by itself. That is basically it in a nut shell.

Reactions: unixfool

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
ProRaw is a proprietary thing for Apple and as such some app can’t just use it all by itself. That is basically it in a nut shell.

Understood. I was really just curious about any apps that are emulating how proraw works, taking a multiple shot hdr image that happens to be RAW. (Kind of like how neuralcam came out emulating night mode on phones that don’t actually have night mode)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.