Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaFrentz

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Hi there, I have a question re: iOS App (e.g. Discogs which I use for my vinyl collection). I have an iPhone 14Pro. The iOS camera app automatically switches to macro mode when I want to take a picture from something very close as expected and works just fine.
Now, using the Discogs iOS app or other apps like barcode scanners, the iPhone does not switch the mode. Scanning barcodes can be a real pain as I have to keep a certain distance otherwise the camera can not focus such close. It simply won't automatically switch to macro mode. I also cannot zoom. The apps don't display any switches to change the camera mode. Therefore, often the Discogs app cannot recognize a barcode at all.
Is there any way to toggle the camera mode when trying to scan a barcode?
Thanks for any suggestions! (I am NOT looking for a new / different app but just need to know if there is any way to enable macro mode in Discogs and other scan apps.

Thanks!

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
You can add a QR code scanner activation to the control center
Settings > Control Center > look for Code Scanner and add it.

For bar codes you need a third party app, but there are some settings to check on
Settings > camera >
Scan QR codes > activate
Show Detected Text > activate
Macro Control > activate that will “Show Camera control for automatically switching to the Ultra Wide camera to capture macro photos and videos. Play with it either on or off and see what happens

The feature of reading bar codes on my iPhone 15 Pro Max works well. There is one, a grocery store app that it doesn’t work on which is a known issue, however the detect text does work and pastes it into the field and does the look up.
BTW bar codes usually have the actual numbers on the bottom of the code. The detect text function that is built into the phone/camera does read and past that into the proper field for the look-up.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaFrentz

LaFrentz

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Thank you for the recommendations! I tried the various settings but without success.
The question is if the iOS app which have their own camera app are so „simple“ that they cannot switch the different lenses at all. If so, is there a cheat how to toggle the camera lense or lock it to a certain one (for me the macro lense)?
I am just wondering if it’s just me having such issues.

Last edited:

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
In looking at the help and support section for Discogs, I can not see any other option. The act of scanning the barcode is a function of the app not the camera. The camera is not switching to a macro mode, although it seems too, it is using something called continuous focus.
If you can activate the flashlight before scanning to better light the code.
Also switch the camera app to it’s widest angle setting prior to activating the app.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Came across this in the Apple News app this morning, thought it might help:

“Switch default camera lenses: iPhone 15 Pro owners can switch the default camera lenses from 24mm to 28mm or 35mm. They can press the 1x on the Camera app or go to Settings > Camera > Main Camera and choose the default format. This is great for those who prefer to get a closer shot every time they take a photo.”

The article

LaFrentz

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Ok, I give up. Many thanks @Davidalan for your recommendations.
Unfortunately, the Discogs iOS app doesn't seem to support any changes of the camera or settings. It always opens the standard camera without possibilities to zoom or toggle lenses.
I tried different iOS camera settings without any effect in the Discogs app. I even masked the other lenses and only left open the macro lens. Did not work either.
The iPhone 15 Pro setting to set a default lenses doesn't exist for iPhone 14 Pro - for whatever reason.
Again, thanks for the support but I will have to type the barcode (numbers) in the search bar instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.