Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
with the kit, does the ipad download the entire raw files? or just the jpg thumbnails? the raw files from my cameras are about 20-30mb a piece...

thanks

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Yep, copies them onto the iPad. You can't view the full detail on iPad (it creates a jpg with limited size for viewing) but perfect for backing up photos from your camera while you're away from home.

David

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Scuby said:
Yep, copies them onto the iPad. You can't view the full detail on iPad (it creates a jpg with limited size for viewing) but perfect for backing up photos from your camera while you're away from home.

David

What happens when you delete the small jpg?

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
What happens when you delete the small jpg?

In my experience, the iPad does not show you the jpg and RAW separately. It tells you both are there, but you can't delete one or the other. I should add that my experience involves shooting RAW and jpg at the same time, though, and both automatically come over from the camera. As I think about, I don't actually know what happens if you upload RAW-only files to the iPad. I'd predict you can't delete the jpg thumbnail that the iPad creates, but I haven't tried that.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
Can videos be transferred from the iPhone 4 to the iPad using this kit?

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Can videos be transferred from the iPhone 4 to the iPad using this kit?
Yes, according to this post right here at MacRumors. You may want to look through more of the thread too, but this seemed most germane. I remembered seeing this, but I found it by searching the forum.

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Afraid i don't know off-hand how it handles raw+jpg from the camera, i only ever shoot raw-only.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
In my experience, the iPad does not show you the jpg and RAW separately. It tells you both are there, but you can't delete one or the other. I should add that my experience involves shooting RAW and jpg at the same time, though, and both automatically come over from the camera. As I think about, I don't actually know what happens if you upload RAW-only files to the iPad. I'd predict you can't delete the jpg thumbnail that the iPad creates, but I haven't tried that.

here are my observations, based on importing JPEG and RAW files from an EOS 40D using the CCK (I assume RAW files from other cameras behave same...)

- if you shoot RAW+JPG, when you first connect the camera, "RAW+JPG" is superimposed on a single icon for each image/pair when first displayed in the iPad (this is in the screen showing the images before importing) i.e. you don't see separate icons for the RAW and JPG versions, but it's clear you have both. Selecting the RAW+JPG item and importing will result in both .jpg and .cr2 files to be loaded into the iPad

- if you have a RAW-only file, it appears in the import screen without any superimposed designation. in other words, it is indistinguishable from a JPEG-only image at this point.

*** once you actually import the images, the appearance of the photos changes slightly. Once you go to the "Last Imported" or "All Imported" or Events album containing your photos, the superimposed text on the RAW+JPEG file no longer appears. all your images whether JPEG, RAW+JPEG or RAW have normal unlabeled icons.

- for RAW files, the iPad creates a scaled down JPEG version which can be used or viewed on the iPad. in my case, an original 3888x2592 image was scaled to 1936x1288 (as viewed on the iPad using PhotoPad, a photo editing app)

- curiously, the JPEG only file seems scaled slightly differently. 3888x2592 original shows as 2048x1364 on the iPad

- all original full size files can be recovered from the iPad e.g. to the Mac using Image Capture or Aperture or iPhoto.

- on the iPad, if you delete a photo that was originally imported as RAW+JPEG, you delete both versions of the image.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
^^
Thanks for a much more thorough account than I gave.

One thing I recently have found - it takes a really, rally long time to take RAW+jpg off my Nikon D200 via a USB cable. I've had better luck using a USB card reader and plugging the CF card into that.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
^^
Thanks for a much more thorough account than I gave.

One thing I recently have found - it takes a really, rally long time to take RAW+jpg off my Nikon D200 via a USB cable. I've had better luck using a USB card reader and plugging the CF card into that.
you're welcome.
unfortunately it seems not all external card readers work with the CCK (mine doesn't), I think it's a matter of too high power consumption of some of the readers

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
unfortunately it seems not all external card readers work with the CCK (mine doesn't), I think it's a matter of too high power consumption of some of the readers
How long does it take you to transfer RAW files to your iPad directly from your camera? Mine never does seem to finish after transferring an image or three.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
How long does it take you to transfer RAW files to your iPad directly from your camera? Mine never does seem to finish after transferring an image or three.

the couple trips where I used the iPad+CCK with my 40D I was shooting mostly JPG, with just some limited RAW+JPG thrown in here and there. so I can't say for sure how quick or slow RAW transfer is...

but now that you mention it, I did notice a couple times that the upload of hundreds of JPGs would sometimes suddenly quit before all the images were finished. but it wasn't after just a few images like in your case - rather, it was after many had already loaded. At the time I was also uploading photos from another camera using the SD Card adapter - unlike the direct connection to my camera, the SD adapter never once had a problem transferring files

at the time I thought I had accidentally jiggled the connection loose or something... it wasn't a concern because when I reconnected and clicked the Import button, the iPad gave me the option to skip all the images that had already been loaded. but perhaps there is something going on here causing problems with large volume of data being uploaded via direct connection?...

if I have a chance later I'll shoot a batch of RAW and time the upload

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
i would love to know if it works well with raw images too. As I would love to use the ipad as another backup unit for my photos, especially if i am not bringing my laptop. But so far it doesn't sound too promising... :(

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
i would love to know if it works well with raw images too. As I would love to use the ipad as another backup unit for my photos, especially if i am not bringing my laptop. But so far it doesn't sound too promising... :(

Works just fine with RAW files, never had a problem. Imports, views just fine and works great with Aperture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.