Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I'm a little confused about the various Lightning adapters (this is for a 1st generation iPad Mini)....
I'd like to attach it to an audio interface via USB and have read that I need to get Apple's "Camera connection kit" but there are numerous similar adapters. What are they for and what are their differences?

- Lightning to SD camera adapter
- Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter
- Lightning to USB camera adapter

I suppose the first one is just for reading SD memory cards and not for attaching to USB devices, but why two USB adapters?
And is there a good reason to get the (rather pricey) Apple adapter instead of a "compatible" one at eBay or other places?

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I'm a little confused about the various Lightning adapters (this is for a 1st generation iPad Mini)....
I'd like to attach it to an audio interface via USB and have read that I need to get Apple's "Camera connection kit" but there are numerous similar adapters. What are they for and what are their differences?

- Lightning to SD camera adapter
- Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter
- Lightning to USB camera adapter

I suppose the first one is just for reading SD memory cards and not for attaching to USB devices, but why two USB adapters?
And is there a good reason to get the (rather pricey) Apple adapter instead of a "compatible" one at eBay or other places?

Yep, the first one is only for SD cards; you will see only a SD card slot there

As for why there are two USB adapters, there are several reasons:
1. Historical: The USB one (the third one you mentioned) came first along with the SD one. The USB 3 adapter (the second one you mentioned) came much later, it came with the launch of the iPad Pro which is the first iOS device to have the internal circuitry to fully handle such USB 3 peripherals.
2. Compatibility: As explained above, only certain iPad Pros (1st or 2nd Gen 12.9 inch, 10.5 inch) can make full use of the USB 3 adapter. Other iOS devices can only use it at USB 2 speeds or not even at all depending on iOS version. On the other hand, the USB adapter is usable by almost all iOS devices and on more iOS versions. Just that you will get only USB 2 speeds.
3. Electrical Power/Charging Capability: The USB 3 adapter has an additional Lightning port that allows you to charge (or quick charge depending on charger and iOS device) your iOS device and use the attached USB device at the same time. This also powers your USB device, meaning you do not need an externally powered USB hub anymore to overcome that "device uses too much power" error. The normal USB adapter does not allow any of this.
4. Price: The USB 3 adapter costs more than the USB adapter due to these reasons. Decide accordingly and buy the right one to ensure proper usage of your money

As for eBay vs Apple:
1. Reliability: You do not know how exactly reliable those are. You can get lucky, or get very unlucky like me. I got some of those before getting Apple's. All of them broke down literally; the Lightning connector just broke off from the adapter! It even got stuck in my iPad; had to use pliers to gently remove that.
2. Returnability: If you are situated close to an Apple Store, just check with them on their return policy! Mine allows any returns (as long reasonable of course; i.e. the item is not willfully damaged, in original packaging) within 14 calendar days, no questions asked. For eBay's however it is up to the seller's discretion usually. Sure, eBay has their return policies too but if I have to choose based on this, I'll go with Apple based on my past experiences.

Based on your needs, I think the USB one is the correct one since it is more compatible with your 1st gen iPad Mini and most probably it is on an older iOS which may not support the newer USB 3 adapter. Audio interfaces do not need USB 3 speeds usually (and some even have compatibility issues with USB 3 ports on computers, but this is another story for another thread).

That said, check with your Apple store nearby or online if too far. I see that you are situated in Norway so this should not be much of a problem? If the return policy is like what I mentioned, get both versions, test both out and return the unsuitable one!

Hope this helps!

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Thanks for explaining.
Yes, you're right -the USB 3 version also has the ability to charge the iPad while being used with the audio interface. Very handy!
For this reason alone I'd dig a little deeper in my pocket and go for that one.
As for compatibility: Apple often makes it hard to find the relevant info, but apparently it's compatible with my iPad mini (read the "Compatibility" section). And here it says:
To use the Apple USB 3 Camera Adapter, you need an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 9.3 or later.

I'm running IOS 9.3.5 on it (which is the highest I can go) so I should be fine.
But if anyone here is using an iPad mini (1st generation) with the USB-3 camera adapter kit it would be great if they could chime in with their experiences.

MK0W2

Last edited:

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Thanks for explaining.
Yes, you're right -the USB 3 version also has the ability to charge the iPad while being used with the audio interface. Very handy!
For this reason alone I'd dig a little deeper in my pocket and go for that one.
As for compatibility: Apple often makes it hard to find the relevant info, but apparently it's compatible with my iPad mini (read the "Compatibility" section). And here it says:

I'm running IOS 9.3.5 on it (which is the highest I can go) so I should be fine.
But if anyone here is using an iPad mini (1st generation) with the USB-3 camera adapter kit it would be great if they could chime in with their experiences.

MK0W2

No prob! I couldnt find that link that mentions iOS 9; had the impression that only iPad Pros can use this so thanks!

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
No problem :)
When I get time I'll most likely buy the that (expensive) USB3 camera adapter cable and see if I can get it to work with my Focusrite 18i20 audio/MIDI interface together with Garageband on the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.