Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdante

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2023
Or just back up a tad and crop. and with the 48mp sensor, you can do that without much loss of resolution.
That works too, but it is not really so much different from 12 MP sensor since 48 MP sensor uses quad bayer, so basically there are only one color filter for 2x2 pixels matrix (48MP quad bayer sensor has 12 MP color filters for each RGB color, it is like 12 MP sensor where each pixel is divided in four).

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
That would work very well for me also. I'm afraid we will not get rid of 0.5x soon, I guess it is usable if you want to take photos of some room layouts of houses and such. Probably something that real estate brokers need daily.
It's how they make miniature rooms look fairly spacious! 😅

• Haha
Reactions: sdante and kitKAC

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
The 35mm option is great for this case. I find the 24mm almost feels like an ultra wide. Good for scenery but not great for people.
Agreed- it feels strange for a main lens. The ultra wide is so extremely wide it's mainly used for silly photos by most people, from what I've seen.

Last edited:

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
It seems a bit odd that the iPhone 15 Pro Max has gone with two wide angle lenses and one 5x zoom lens. It sounds like a step back from the options on the 15 Pro.

Is a fourth lens now essential for the 16 Pro? If there's no suitable lens for portraits then Apple have kinda stuffed it for one of the most common photos people take with their phones...

I was happy with the camera until yesterday, but realised since I owned it I'd only taken photos of buildings, mountains and pets, and not really people. The head distortions in what looked like well framed pictures were a catastrophe 😅 Whatever my partner's S23 Ultra is doing with its lenses, it pulls its sh*t together a lot better indoors, and her pics put mine to shame!
I'm looking forward to the day where the entire back of the phone will be lenses.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I'm looking forward to the day where the entire back of the phone will be lenses.
We were already there a few years ago, but that wasn't a phone even though it ran Android.

ZYFRONT.JPG

Reactions: Jackbequickly

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
I'd be happy with one lens. I don't need a zoom lens or a wide angle one. I had a top quality point and shoot I used to use, and happily never zoomed.

OneSon

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
35mm, 50mm and 90mm would be your typical portrait lengths on a 'proper' camera. 35mm for environmental portraits that capture the whole person and the surroundings, 90mm for 'traditional' portraits with subject/background separation, 50mm sort of falls somewhere in the middle and can be used for most things. So called the nifty fifty.

Last edited:

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
35mm, 50mm and 90mm would be your typical portrait lengths on a 'proper' camera. 35mm for environmental portraits that capture the whole person and the surroundings, 90mm for 'traditional' portraits with subject/background separation, 50mm sort falls somewhere in the middle and can be used for most things. So called the nifty fifty.
Meanwhile, 13mm, 24mm and 77mm leaves a heck of a gap unfilled on iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.