Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cvlr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2024
So I recently got a 15 plus to replace my iPhone 14. I'm not quite sure if there are physical changes to the sensor that are causing these but thought I'd ask here. I've noticed that the minimum focussing distance seems to have increased. The 15 has to be slightly farther away to focus compared to the 14. I've also noticed that after I click the shutter button - the 15 takes ever so slightly longer for the photo to show up in the bottom right. Not sure if my device is defective or this is normal for the larger sensor of the 15.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
So I recently got a 15 plus to replace my iPhone 14. I'm not quite sure if there are physical changes to the sensor that are causing these but thought I'd ask here. I've noticed that the minimum focussing distance seems to have increased. The 15 has to be slightly farther away to focus compared to the 14. I've also noticed that after I click the shutter button - the 15 takes ever so slightly longer for the photo to show up in the bottom right. Not sure if my device is defective or this is normal for the larger sensor of the 15.

It’s fair to assume the minimum focal distance has increased, because the sensor is much bigger than the 14’s. As for the lag, I don’t see it on my 15. Perhaps you had the night mode on when taking the photo?

Reactions: cvlr

cvlr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2024
It’s fair to assume the minimum focal distance has increased, because the sensor is much bigger than the 14’s. As for the lag, I don’t see it on my 15. Perhaps you had the night mode on when taking the photo?

There isn't a massive difference. More like fraction of seconds.

cvlr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2024
So I did some additional testing. When an object is moving and I take a photo - the frame freezes for a second on the 15 while it doesn't on the 14. The iPhone 15 does the freeze frame less if I choose 12 MP photos in the settings.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
So I did some additional testing. When an object is moving and I take a photo - the frame freezes for a second on the 15 while it doesn't on the 14. The iPhone 15 does the freeze frame less if I choose 12 MP photos in the settings.
Use your 14 to take photos problem solved.

Whoops2474

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2023
Probably because phone has to process 48/24 mpx photos instead of 12.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.