Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I have been given an iPhone 12 Mini for my birthday??? and have just taken some photos only to find that they won't upload to a website because of their unusual format - HEIC.
What on earth is this format? Can the camera be set to JPEG?

Reactions: DeepIn2U

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Same on all the iPhones. It’s basically a compressed jpeg without the loss of quality.

What website are you trying to upload them to?

Reactions: macsound1

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Change the camera settings image.png

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Or, alternatively, you can quickly edit the photo (cropping, filters, just drawing a small dot) to have it converted to JPEG.

Does anyone know why the iPhone does this, converting edited photos to JPEG?

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
That's interesting, do some sort of edit in the phone and the image becomes a jpeg! I'll try that.
Just handy to be able to just upload the pictures onto the computer and immediately use them for forums and the like without having to import/export them to Photos.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
As mentioned in the support link, can "export" directly into jpg, depending on how done.

For example, if saving the photo to Dropbox, it will convert to jpg. But if saving to iCloud Drive, will be kept as HEIC. So, a couple of other options to mess with.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
The great advantage of using heif or heic is the space saved.
You're able to get almost 2x as many photos stored in the same amount of iPhone storage.
I personally use an automater action that you can add to your right-click menu on your mac. I use it at work since I'm usually emailing people with PCs.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
And can automate on iPhone as well via a Shortcut. Two actions is all it takes.

(Left as an exercise: probably can save to an Album as well in Photos via Save to Album action)

Attachments

• Photo Convert.png
    Photo Convert.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 51

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area

(Left as an exercise: probably can save to an Album as well in Photos via Save to Album action)
As someone who's only used Shortcuts for smart home stuff, when you trigger this to run, does it then ask you to choose a photo? Or do you choose the shortcut from the share sheet when a photo is open?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Latter.

You set it up to take as input images and to "Show In Share Sheet", then in Photos, select the photos you want to convert and access the Shortcut via Share Sheet.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Or, alternatively, you can quickly edit the photo (cropping, filters, just drawing a small dot) to have it converted to JPEG.

Does anyone know why the iPhone does this, converting edited photos to JPEG?

I’m not seeing the option to crop/filter/markup at all when converting to regular jpeg on iPhone natively (convert to original formate via settings or in menu); doesn’t seem to do this automatically either.

The great advantage of using heif or heic is the space saved.
You're able to get almost 2x as many photos stored in the same amount of iPhone storage.
I personally use an automater action that you can add to your right-click menu on your mac. I use it at work since I'm usually emailing people with PCs.

Wow SOLID advice and perfect for my use cases! Much appreciated!!

Hopefully I don’t need a Dropbox account for Shortcut to work on iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.