Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Torlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
Hi everyone!
Today I accidentally dropped my iPhone X at the gym. The height was less than 1 meter. The phone landed on the back. It didn’t suffer any external damage, nothing is broken. It was in a thin silicone case, and also had a screen protector.
However, I noticed that when I try to take a picture, there is no picture. All I get is just a white picture.

My question is - is it really possible that a fall from less than 1 meter could have caused some internal damage?

* Front camera works fine.

9727E645-4B6F-4301-9841-64A5354873E4.png

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Yes, it is possible. If I am not mistaken, I have read about this very problem with the iPhone X on the forum years ago.

If a reboot, reset all settings, erase and set up as new doesn't solve the problem, you are probably looking at a hardware problem. Given what you described. I don't think your chances are good with the typical user options. I hope I am wrong.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It's possible the drop may have loosened or disconnected the rear camera connector.. Not sure if you're ok with opening the phone up to check the connection but there are many YouTube videos showing the procedure.

Glam69

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2021
Derby
I have a problem with my iPhone XS Max 64gb - the front camera is not working with the camera app, it only shows a black screen. The rear camera is working and the front camera does work with the eBay app, therefore it’s not hardware related? I’ve done a reset and set up as a new device, but the problem still exists. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I dropped my Xs Max late last year and ended up having the camera replaced at the Apple Store. I had them replace the battery at the same time. Cost for camera replacement was reasonable ($79). New battery was $69.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.