Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Hey just upgraded and wondered if anyone has used one of these or indeed if I need to protect the lenses. Coming from an 11 and the lens size difference is massive.
Seems ok for the price but some reviews state the camera sliders need a bit of force to slide them.

Attachments

• A9509817-A456-4B10-9DF9-F5015A719454.png
    A9509817-A456-4B10-9DF9-F5015A719454.png
    739.6 KB · Views: 139

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Looks like a decent case. I have never damaged a camera lens however it’s possible if you drop your phone on gravel or an uneven surface.

Reactions: illyb2000

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
Hey just upgraded and wondered if anyone has used one of these or indeed if I need to protect the lenses. Coming from an 11 and the lens size difference is massive.
Seems ok for the price but some reviews state the camera sliders need a bit of force to slide them.
Did you get this case? I quite like the look of it just to even out the top of the phone

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Did you get this case? I quite like the look of it just to even out the top of the phone
I did. It seems to protect the phone and the lens well. The only downside is the case is a bit ugly (maybe a clear one would be better?) and not sure I like the texture of it. There are other types of cases by the same company (i.e. silicone) which maybe better but not sure if better drop protection.
I do have a normal clear case as well which looks better but no lens slider.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
A case like above my stop scratches but it will cause dust and debris inside of the case. If you do not remove the case and clan out this debris, it will abrade your phones finish and damage it. This is true of most cases.

• Love
Reactions: Fred Zed

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
A case like above my stop scratches but it will cause dust and debris inside of the case. If you do not remove the case and clan out this debris, it will abrade your phones finish and damage it. This is true of most cases.
I remove my phone from its case every one or two weeks to clean both it and the case. Never had any scratches or damage to the phone or any visible buildup of gunk in the speakers or microphone grills.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I never cracked my screen, let alone a camera lens on my iphone UNTIL I got a job installing solar panels on roofs this Summer. Not only did I totally shatter the front & back of my iphone 11 Pro Max, I also shattered one of the lenses! I used a case, but one of those simple silicone cases. When my 14 Pro Max arrives, I plan to get one of those heavy duty cases that also protects the lenses.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I remove my phone from its case every one or two weeks to clean both it and the case. Never had any scratches or damage to the phone or any visible buildup of gunk in the speakers or microphone grills.

you had no damage because you DO clean the case. Others don’t and are shocked a year later when they remove their case.

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
you had no damage because you DO clean the case. Others don’t and are shocked a year later when they remove their case.
Yep. People don’t understand that there is still maintenance to be carried out to keep their phone in pristine condition EVEN if they use a case. Even after one week I can see small grains building up in the rear of the case which could eventually cause micro scratches. If it’s a silicone case I will normally clean it under a tap and use soap to disinfect it. The phone is normally cleaned with a damp cloth followed by a micro fibre cloth. It only takes a few minutes so it’s well worth doing.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Yep. People don’t understand that there is still maintenance to be carried out to keep their phone in pristine condition EVEN if they use a case. Even after one week I can see small grains building up in the rear of the case which could eventually cause micro scratches. If it’s a silicone case I will normally clean it under a tap and use soap to disinfect it. The phone is normally cleaned with a damp cloth followed by a micro fibre cloth. It only takes a few minutes so it’s well worth doing.
Indeed. But some cases also by their nature micro mar the sides. Since they are abrasive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.