Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PfEMP1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hej All,

I'm heading to the US for a conference with work and will be spending the day in Denver before heading to Copper Mountain. US prices are a bit cheaper than Denmark and UK, so I wondered which are the best stores to check out Nikon fit lenses....i'm looking at either the Tamron or Sigma 70-200mm....sadly can't stretch to the price of the Nikon lens.

Would appreciate the names of shops to try/avoid!

Cheers
Yvonne

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
You should have planned your trip to stay in NYC for a day and go to B&H Photo or Adorama. They would have more cameras in stock and possibly used gear. idk which shops are in the area. You can check online if they have a Best Buy. Plug in the zip code to see if one will be near by. Best Buy is an authorized dealer. Most cities will stock all the camera gear at one of the area stores.

Here is the list of Authorized dealers

http://cdn-6.nikon-cdn.com/where-to-buy/nikon_img_auth_dealers.pdf

jeepit92

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2015
Mike's Camera is the local chain photo shop here in Denver. They sell Olympus, Nikon, Cannon, Sony and Panasonic.
The other shop is Englewood Camera which sells Cannon, Fujifilm, and Olympus. They have the biggest selection of used equipment here in Denver.
Have fun at Copper Mountain, it's powder heaven as of this writing.
Hope this helps.

PfEMP1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
You should have planned your trip to stay in NYC for a day and go to B&H Photo or Adorama. They would have more cameras in stock and possibly used gear. idk which shops are in the area. You can check online if they have a Best Buy. Plug in the zip code to see if one will be near by. Best Buy is an authorized dealer. Most cities will stock all the camera gear at one of the area stores.

Here is the list of Authorized dealers

http://cdn-6.nikon-cdn.com/where-to-buy/nikon_img_auth_dealers.pdf

Thanks for the list :)

Mike's Camera is the local chain photo shop here in Denver. They sell Olympus, Nikon, Cannon, Sony and Panasonic.
The other shop is Englewood Camera which sells Cannon, Fujifilm, and Olympus. They have the biggest selection of used equipment here in Denver.
Have fun at Copper Mountain, it's powder heaven as of this writing.
Hope this helps.

I will check that out, thanks for the info, i don't know what stores are legit in the US.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Awhile back I remember there were a few stores in NYC that weren't legit. Most of them are online.

Even if the store is legit, you still should make sure you inspect things. If you find something, test it out before buying.

PfEMP1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
Awhile back I remember there were a few stores in NYC that weren't legit. Most of them are online.

Even if the store is legit, you still should make sure you inspect things. If you find something, test it out before buying.

Is that not a given trying something before buying? Although its now looking like a moot point as prices aren't actually worth it. Looks like Denmark is cheaper for the lenses I am after...which is not normally soemthing you say about Denmark!

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
This has never happened to me, but I've read where people have purchased gadgets in the store and when they got home there was something else inside the box. That's what I was kinda getting at. Even though the store could be legit, make sure you are diligent when purchasing.

If you were coming to NY, B&H Photo is like the mega store where photographers go. I got a nice used lens and an open box lens.

Oh looking at the currency exchange (I think its right) $1.00 DKK is about $0.14 US dollars. So yes you would save more in Denmark.

PfEMP1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah its looking like it's 2-300 US cheaper in Denmark.

I have heard of stores swapping out the lens you view for another model in the box, though this is mostly the huge electronics centres in places like Singapore and Hong Kong. I've not heard about it from the more recognised stores in the UK or Denmark. I do know that some of the online stores are questionable i.e. the really cheap deals are usually grey imports or you never actually get what you ordered.

Gmouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
Lakewood, CO
I live in Lakewood, CO, and if in NYC you will WANT to go to B&H Photo--amazing place. In Denver, agree that the best place is Mike's camera. The flagship and largest store is in Boulder, so, I'd visit that one.

PfEMP1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thank for the tips, though sadly I didn't realise the trading hours on a Sunday, too used to everything being open all weekend.

In addition to the trading hours, the prices are currently higher in the US than in the EU, so not worth it.

If there's a mod about, closing the thread would be great as it's been answered.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If there's a mod about, closing the thread would be great as it's been answered.

I marked the title "Resolved" for you, but we leave these threads open in case someone comes along later and wishes to comment.

You can also hit the report button there (screenshot) to report your own posts for a mod request like this.

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 10.44.58 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.