Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
My son drops his Ipod all the time, and it almost always goes dark, only to come back to life after a few hours, or sometimes after I do a hard reset. Not surprising now that the camera (both front and black) along with the flash are no longer working. The camera app comes up but it's black. The shutters don't seem to be closed. I assume he may have permanently damaged the camera module or whatever it is. But has anyone had this happen and managed to fix it? I assume the next step would be to completely wipe it and see if that works. Probably won't if it's a true physical hardware issue.

Thanks

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Maybe the connectors just disconnected. If you feel comfortable opening it, you could disconnect the individual connectors and reconnect them. I don’t know how the Touch you have is set up internally, but if it’s anything like an iPhone it should be rather easy. What iOS version are you running on that thing?
Also, what you you mean by “shutters closed”?

Reactions: ajm222

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
thanks, i may give that a try if wiping and resetting it doesn't accomplish anything. as for the shutter, not sure why i thought there might be a mechanical shutter on this thing. i think i saw someone mention that, but clearly these devices don't use a mechanical shutter, so i misspoke there. but perhaps the image sensor and "e-shutter" is stuck in off mode. perhaps that could in fact be remedied by wiping it and starting fresh.

Reactions: Reggaenald
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.