Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
No I don't have trouble reading. Apple doesn't get to decide what's a valid subpoena or search warrant. If Apple complied with everything being asked for there would be no reason for Cook to write that letter and this wouldn't be all over the news.
Are you American? If you are, your comprehension on how the court system works is wrong. If not, then I can understand why a foreigner wouldn't know how a company is legally obligated to follow court ordered subpoenas and search warrants. Apple has no choice in the matter, legally. If you're arguing, the system should be different, you're going about it the wrong way.

jwhitnah

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
WI
Government has cause and needs this information. Apple is not going to win and they look bad for not complying.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
I don't want Apple to build back doors, but I do want them to comply with certain law enforcement requests. Not sure how to reconcile the 2. Apple is smart I'm sure they can figure it out.

Reactions: jbachandouris

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I'm floored that Apple's PR spin worked this well, just shows how gullible we all are. Without siding with the FBI's request in any sort of way, I find that Apple's stance is only a way to hide the awful truth: the iPhone isn't as secure as they claimed.

As explained in various articles, the real issue isn't that Apple refuses to create a backdoor, it's that the backdoor already exists and Apple only patched it up with a "10 tries and you're out". The FBI is asking for Apple's "help" circumvent the patch that will lock them out if they use brute force.

And Apple is playing the civil rights card in a PR spin to look like they're working hard at keep the little people's data safe.

This is a show of smoke & mirrors to keep appearances up that the iPhone is secure, since they've been getting hit on all sides since the iCloud leak and have adopted such a strong stance on security since then.
It's not really smoke & mirrors if the effect of a security breach enhances security. But okay, conspiracies and stuff.

Reactions: doelcm82

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
maybe they should stand outside the courthouse where the judge presides who issued the ruling. We need to send a message to the government (and the judge in the case) that we're not OK with backdoors.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
That's not a citation for what you claimed. You claimed that Apple has done what this court order is requesting "20 times before", but Apple hasn't created new software to circumvent the inherent protections of the device, nor have they been asked to by a court.
There's a first time for everything. And read the order. Apple has the option to do this in their facility under their control. They aren't being forced to give a back door to all iOS devices. They need to open 1 phone. That's it.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
They took this stand 2 days ago. I don't think another order has been issued since then. Your argument justifies the "I voted against it before I voted for it" or " I voted for it before I voted against it" argument used by Clinton when she was a senator. Just silly.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ked-iphones-for-the-feds-70-times-before.html
But this is the right stand, in my opinion. So I support Apple making it. And I don't support the times they made the wrong stand.

I don't know the details of the "70 times before", but assuming they were similar, I'd say Apple has been wrong 70 times and right this one time. I hope Apple stands firm on taking the right stand now, and that they take the right stand in the future.

The article suggests that Apple was embarrassed by revelations that they helped compromise their customers' privacy in the past, and has been working to remedy that. I see this as a positive trend.

If a politician changes her mind from a position that I oppose to a position that I support, then I view that as a positive trend, also.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This entire website is based on reporting leaks and rumors about Apple and its products. "Only Apple" has access to their unreleased products yet there's enough information that gets leaked to keep this website in business.

Why should we take the risk that the same thing will happen with this proposed software?
So you're saying someone at Apple with access to this special software could leak it to bad guys and sign it for them? Well then let me deactivate iMessage and iCloud since Apple can't be trusted with security.

Adam552

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2006
Liverpool, UK.
I will never update my iOS if there is a chance of it being backdoor-able! I'm guessing if it happened we would know before the update was released.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Doesn't really matter...

The NSA does this anyway with phone calls..... although pushed back due to over-reaching..

Maybe the government is doing this to Apple because there is something the NSA cannot do at present? It's easier to go after the small fish than ask the big guys to do something that will have an outcry between everyone.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
So you're saying someone at Apple with access to this special software could leak it to bad guys and sign it for them? Well then let me deactivate iMessage and iCloud since Apple can't be trusted with security.

I'm not saying they could leak it to bad guys AND sign it for them.

I'm saying the possibility of it being leaked exists and once that code is out there you have no idea who could reverse engineer it or figure out a way to deploy it without signing it.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Apple CAN'T be trusted with security, and they know it. There are too many moving parts. Too many places in the chain where security can be breached.

That is why Apple has been designing the security into the iOS system with encryption and protections against brute force hacking. They're trying to make it so even they don't have access to your personal data.

Law enforcement agencies have complained in the past that they can't tap iMessage data as easily as they could tap other messaging streams in the past.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I'm astonished they couldn't break in. It makes apple a worthwhile choice.

I mean you never hear how they had to take google to court to get information or of them. Google is like Microsoft, they really don't care about the customer or their right to privacy.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
I agree with Apple's stance on this but disagree when the information the government want are from terrorists that used a iPhone. Apple simply don't have to give the pass code for the encryption that would allow the government to unlock everyone with iPhone to spy but they can it least do it for this ugly bastards. Either way I am sure the government can hire a hacker or cracker to crack the iPhone but instead of doing that they asking for Apples help which I find it strange or to cover their tracks that they don't break into anyone's phone or Apple is just that good.

Their has to be a middle ground to this issue but welcome to a new world where people believed the government never spies on people before even Snowden leaked it government has and always been spying from security cams to landline phones and cell phones also payphones.

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Extreme Liberalism.
quote-extreme-liberalism-is-not-a-political-philosophy-it-is-a-mental-disorder-michael-savage-133-57-13.jpg

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Nobody's blaming all the world's problems on liberals, dummy.

Wow! Apple employees lead a double life? Elected officials by day & Apple executives by night? What else do they do? I'm learning new stuffs from liberals everyday!!

And there it is. The same ol' debunked liberal Islamic defence talking point. Except Lawnmower isn't trying to kill anybody whereas Islamist terrorist are. Goddamn, liberals are stupid.

Even lifelong liberals are tired of your bulls**t of defending Islamic terrorism.

Sounds like he is more conservative than liberal since Bill Maher never defends Islamic terrorism than again Repubes are the ones who created all this terrorist especially ISIS by working with Turkey the one who fund this dirty goat lovers. Not sure why America still works with Turkey every time Turkey lies to America they still work with them and Turkey a country that murdered over millions of Armenians and Greeks shocks me that America still supports them but when it comes to Holocaust they accept that happened.

djcraze

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Why can't the FBI open up the device, unsolder the NAND, connect it up to a computer, dump it, and then brute-force the encryption from there? If anything, the FBI should be asking for information on how everything is stored on the NAND and SE. That way Apple would be providing information that they know, and the FBI can use that information to unlock the device.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I'm floored that Apple's PR spin worked this well, just shows how gullible we all are. Without siding with the FBI's request in any sort of way, I find that Apple's stance is only a way to hide the awful truth: the iPhone isn't as secure as they claimed.

First off, this is an iPhone 5c that this story relates to. It predates Apple moving crypto keys to the "Secure Element".

As explained in various articles, the real issue isn't that Apple refuses to create a backdoor, it's that the backdoor already exists and Apple only patched it up with a "10 tries and you're out". The FBI is asking for Apple's "help" circumvent the patch that will lock them out if they use brute force.

Uhh, you don't seem to really understand the terms or technology here.

Brute forcing is not a backdoor. It's brute forcing. It's like trying to pick a combination lock by trying all the different number combinations.

A true backdoor would use a separate key to bypass any existing locks. Like using a master key on the back of that combination lock to open it without entering any numbers.

And Apple is playing the civil rights card in a PR spin to look like they're working hard at keep the little people's data safe.

This is a show of smoke & mirrors to keep appearances up that the iPhone is secure, since they've been getting hit on all sides since the iCloud leak and have adopted such a strong stance on security since then.

Uhh, no. This isn't smoke and mirrors. If the FBI could get into the device, we wouldn't be going through this whole charade.

The iCloud leak was due to social engineering caused by stupid people's failure to use proper security techniques on their accounts, and Apple's lack of multi-factor authentication at the time.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Nobody's blaming all the world's problems on liberals, dummy.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Apple employees lead a double life? Elected officials by day & Apple executives by night? What else do they do? I'm learning new stuffs from liberals everyday!!

Ever heard of Al Gore? Goddamn conservatards are stupid.

And there it is. The same ol' debunked liberal Islamic defence talking point. Except Lawnmower isn't trying to kill anybody whereas Islamist terrorist are. Goddamn, liberals are stupid.

It doesn't matter what lawnmowers are 'trying' to do. Your chance of being killed by one is a lot greater than being killed by your favorite boogeymen: Muslims. Your hysteria over 'terrorism' and support for government totalitarian surveillance is therefore unwarranted. That was my point, which sailed over your empty head.

Even lifelong liberals are tired of your bulls**t of defending Islamic terrorism.

Who's defending Islamic terrorism? Nice try at twisting whatever I say around. Disingenuous nonsense.

Reactions: zioxide

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
There's a first time for everything. And read the order. Apple has the option to do this in their facility under their control. They aren't being forced to give a back door to all iOS devices. They need to open 1 phone. That's it.
Notice how I'm not arguing anything you posted here; please don't obfuscate the topic because you've been proven wrong. The fact remains that what you claimed is completely and utterly false. Apple has not done this "20 time before", or even once before.

Just accept that you had the wrong idea of what's going on, that the situation isn't as hypocritical as you thought, and move on.

Reactions: zioxide

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Notice how I'm not arguing anything you posted here; please don't obfuscate the topic because you've been proven wrong. The fact remains that what you claimed is completely and utterly false. Apple has not done this "20 time before", or even once before.

Just accept that you had the wrong idea of what's going on, that the situation isn't as hypocritical as you thought, and move on.

They have abided by a legal search warranty 20-70 times prior in unlocking or otherwise assisting in accessing a locked iDevice. Is the specific or broad enough for you? Now they are being presented with another legal search warrant/search order. This time they are choosing not to comply. They are choosing not to comply for reasons other than what you are claiming. They can abide by this order without giving the government the means to break all encryption on iDevices.

Even if the Feds did manage to break the encryption Apple could easily write as new encryption pattern and release it in an update, just as they do when other security flaws are exposed.

What is most likely is that Apple choosing to not comply simply as a PR stunt.

IMHO, Tim Cook is afraid that complying with the order will reveal that Apple has been less than careful with our data to begin with. Or that it will be revealed that Apple is already looking at our private data on our phones.

So for you, good sir, do not tell me to move on. You have presented nothing that has, or that should change my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.