Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Hi guys, am planning to get an iPhone 11 Pro. I saw a refurbished model at a shop where phone displayed the ‘Unknown Parts’ message. However the seller explained that the screen had been replaced with an original screen part but wasn’t ‘connected’ properly. The phone did have the truetone function though.

Also since we’re on the subject, is there such a thing as a fake camera part?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What repair shops do to restore True Tone among a few other things is to read data from old chip and write data to the new chip, at least thats what i see. There are a whole slew of tools and software to carry certain features from one part to the other, despite Apple’s best effort to try to make sure even swapping two brand new iPhone screens won‘t let iPhone boot properly.
As for “fake camera part”, idk how fake it can be, but if a part can trick iOS to use it, then that fake is just too real.

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
What repair shops do to restore True Tone among a few other things is to read data from old chip and write data to the new chip, at least thats what i see. There are a whole slew of tools and software to carry certain features from one part to the other, despite Apple’s best effort to try to make sure even swapping two brand new iPhone screens won‘t let iPhone boot properly.
As for “fake camera part”, idk how fake it can be, but if a part can trick iOS to use it, then that fake is just too real.
Tbf the fake parts aspect probably wouldn't be as bad if Apple actually allowed 3rd party shops to buy genuine parts for a reasonable price and didn't pair nearly everything to the logic board. Security items like Face Id make sense but parts like the screen and battery are just stupid.
Yes I know individuals can get genuine parts to perform self-repairs but the prices make no sense and end up more expensive than just taking the device to Apple.

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Hi guys, am planning to get an iPhone 11 Pro. I saw a refurbished model at a shop where phone displayed the ‘Unknown Parts’ message. However the seller explained that the screen had been replaced with an original screen part but wasn’t ‘connected’ properly. The phone did have the truetone function though.

As @Shirasaki stated if the 3rd party replacement display has been programed with the information from the original display TrueTone will work but the "not original part" notification will show and can't be disabled. If an original Apple display is used and the equipment to reprogram the new display is used, no notification will show. Not sure what not connected properly means because if the connections were not seated properly I'd think you would have many issues not just the notification. I'd say the replacement display isn't from Apple or an Apple device..

Reactions: subaiku

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
I got the phone yesterday because I needed it for work. So, if I’m getting you guys correctly, then it is possible that the display is not an original Apple part since it’s possible to program a third party display. I did do some tests though, like the shine-torchlight-on-screen (recommended by Google search) and so far the multi touch seems to have no problems. So, if it is an OEM part, it seems quite good quality.

😂

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Tbf the fake parts aspect probably wouldn't be as bad if Apple actually allowed 3rd party shops to buy genuine parts for a reasonable price and didn't pair nearly everything to the logic board. Security items like Face Id make sense but parts like the screen and battery are just stupid.
Yes I know individuals can get genuine parts to perform self-repairs but the prices make no sense and end up more expensive than just taking the device to Apple.
Totally agree with you on this.

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Not sure what not connected properly means because if the connections were not seated properly I'd think you would have many issues not just the notification. I'd say the replacement display isn't from Apple or an Apple device..
I think the salesperson just didn’t know how to adequately explain it to me, hence ‘not connected properly'. 😆

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I saw a refurbished model at a shop where phone displayed the ‘Unknown Parts’ message.

I assume that is wasn't an Apple Authorized service center? If not I would be worried if there were more issues than just screen problems.

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
I assume that is wasn't an Apple Authorized service center? If not I would be worried if there were more issues than just screen problems.
Yeah, no, wasnt an authorized Apple shop. Was just a mobile phone reseller.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008

No it will not because the person who installed the new display did not transfer the old display info to the new display it never will unless you can get ahold of the original screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.