Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
My college library only allows infrared wireless printing.

Will I be able to access that? Is the infrared port in the headphone jack in the front?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
i believe infrared port is the one in the front for the apple remote control.. but i dont know how you are suppose to print via that

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
I think the front port is just for the Apple Remote but I'm not really sure. Seems that its just a reciever and you would need something that does both transmitting and recieving to print. Might be a question to check out on the Apple boards or to ask at your local Genius Bar.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
bobber205 said:
My college library only allows infrared wireless printing.

Will I be able to access that? Is the infrared port in the headphone jack in the front?

No. There is no IR data port on any current Mac - the IR receiver is for the Apple Remote only.

You'll have to use a thumb drive or something.

Can't believe a library would still be using IR wireless printing in this day and age.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Yeah. At a tech college no less.
When you're wireless there, your not a local user, you're from the "outside".
In our school, the library is "seperate" from the rest of campus, but for sm BS reason the main tech group wants us to have this setup...

BTW quick question. Flash drives that are formatted under windows work under XP and OS X right?

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
bobber205 said:
Yeah. At a tech college no less.
When you're wireless there, your not a local user, you're from the "outside".
In our school, the library is "seperate" from the rest of campus, but for sm BS reason the main tech group wants us to have this setup...

BTW quick question. Flash drives that are formatted under windows work under XP and OS X right?

Flash drives formatted as FAT32 will work on both, but OS X CANNOT write to NTFS formatted Drives...so make sure it's FAT32.

Also, Infrared in 2006? I don't know many laptops that still HAVE infrared. That's pretty stupid.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
BEGONE INFRARED!!

SPAWN THAT IS ALL EVIL AND DAMNED!

:p

Christ the amount of time i spent faffing around with my Seina Psion trying to get it to talk to my old 1st gen iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.