Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmilioCube

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
A while ago I tried to strengthen my G4 Cubes VRM but it ended in blowing up a capacitor on the CPU board. I have another intact CPU board that I could take the capacitor from and replace the blown one with it.
Now I am wondering if in the wost scenario the repaired CPU board would still be corrupt even after replacing the capacitor and could destroy my cubes new motherboard and custom VRM which still work fine.

Since the Capacitor explode I havent used the Rage Pro which was in the Cube when the corrupt VRM made the CPU capacitor explode.
So I dont know if it is dead. Like the CPU board it, if it is dead/corrupt, destroy other components in the Cube or just the worst thing that can happen is the machine not turning on?

The same applies to the Dual MDD 1.25Ghz CPU board which I modded a bit to fit in the Cube. Can it damage other components if it got corrupt durng modding?

And, are there any ways to test pins, measure resistance or such methods to determine if they were damaged?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.