Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zyju

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2018
Hi guys,

I found my old laptop from 2010 and i want to upgrade the HDD. From all my trawling through forums I am more than likely going to buy a Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SATA III only because i know it will be compatible with the MBP. The 860 EVOs that are available at the moment are the same price sometimes cheaper than the 850 EVOs. My question is - Would a 860 EVO be compatible with my 2010 MBP and if so, which SSD would be worth buying ?

Specs:
MBP 13 ", Mid 2010
Processor - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory - 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

madmailman

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
Hi guys,

I found my old laptop from 2010 and i want to upgrade the HDD. From all my trawling through forums I am more than likely going to buy a Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SATA III only because i know it will be compatible with the MBP. The 860 EVOs that are available at the moment are the same price sometimes cheaper than the 850 EVOs. My question is - Would a 860 EVO be compatible with my 2010 MBP and if so, which SSD would be worth buying ?

Specs:
MBP 13 ", Mid 2010
Processor - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory - 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I have the 15" mid 2010 and I have 2 SSD's in it (removed the optical drive). Admittedly not Samsung EVO's but any drive that is SATA should work fine. SATA interface on SSD's and HDD's are backward compatible.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I have the 15" mid 2010 and I have 2 SSD's in it (removed the optical drive). Admittedly not Samsung EVO's but any drive that is SATA should work fine. SATA interface on SSD's and HDD's are backward compatible.

I'd like to put an * here, adding that "Assuming it uses the ACHI protocol. It's extremely rare, but I have seen SATA drives use the NVMe protocol, which is ludicrous really. But yeah, no, you're right. 99% of SATA SSDs are compatible with all SATA interfaces.

Addendum 2:
Though the full feature set may not be compatible with all implementations, e.g. TRIM or SMART

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I would normally say you don't need to pay a premium for an EVO because you won't realize the performance benefits, but I see the prices are now relatively in the same ballpark for Crucial and Sandisk.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I found my old laptop from 2010 and i want to upgrade the HDD"
and
"Would a 860 EVO be compatible with my 2010 MBP and if so, which SSD would be worth buying?"

BEFORE you buy the SSD, does the old MBP still boot up and does the battery still hold a decent charge? May not be worth upgrading if it won't run...

Having said that...

You are WASTING YOUR MONEY to spend extra $$$ for a Samsung drive (unless you can find one cheap).
Get a Sandisk or Crucial drive (cheapest you can find).

WHY I suggested this:
The 2010 MBP (I have one myself) has a SLOW SATA2 internal bus.
A higher-priced "faster" modern drive can't change this.
ANY drive you put in there will give the SAME performance.

So... again... get the cheapest drive you can.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
OP wrote:
"I found my old laptop from 2010 and i want to upgrade the HDD"
and
"Would a 860 EVO be compatible with my 2010 MBP and if so, which SSD would be worth buying?"

BEFORE you buy the SSD, does the old MBP still boot up and does the battery still hold a decent charge? May not be worth upgrading if it won't run...

Having said that...

You are WASTING YOUR MONEY to spend extra $$$ for a Samsung drive (unless you can find one cheap).
Get a Sandisk or Crucial drive (cheapest you can find).

WHY I suggested this:
The 2010 MBP (I have one myself) has a SLOW SATA2 internal bus.
A higher-priced "faster" modern drive can't change this.
ANY drive you put in there will give the SAME performance.

So... again... get the cheapest drive you can.
You must have an inventory of cut and pastes for the same set of questions. Kind of like Dell support, lol! Check out the prices of the EVO 860 vs. Crucial/Sandisk. It's only like $20 bucks different.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I prefer the Samsung EVO range, they are more likely to work with Apple laptops. I've heard stories of people having problems with other brand SSD upgrades. I only use EVO and never had any issues. Worth the extra $20 for me.

850 vs 860 - get whichever is cheapest and right size for you.

Another benefit of Samsung EVO over other brands - slightly faster random access speed, which is the real advantage of any SSD over any spinny. Even a 960 Pro m.2 drive struggles to get above 50MB/s in random read. (HDDs do around 500KB - 1MB)

Reactions: LarryJoe33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.