Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Something like this on Amazon for example.
I could not find a multiadapter that can drive a monitor through the USB C port, I assume they do not exist? Only data?

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
For 5K you really need a Thunderbolt 3/4 dock to be reliable.
You run the 5K monitor off the downstream TB port (USB-C).

USB-C docks can work in some circumstances, but become unreliable if too many other things are plugged in - they don't supply sufficient bandwidth.

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
8K30 is between 1030 and 1188 MHz.
5K60 is somewhere in the 900 MHz range.
Will it work? It depends on the drivers, the GPU, and the display.

That UGREEN Revodok has only HDMI outputs. Do you have a 5K display with HDMI input? There are HDMI 2.1 to USB-C/DisplayPort adapters which could work but it's not a good idea to chain multiple adapters.

That UGREEN Revodok adapter is USB-C only, and supports USB 3.x. That means there's only two lanes of DisplayPort which limits the max pixel clock to < 1080 MHz. It is sufficient if the drivers, the GPU, and the display support 4:2:0 8bpc or DSC @12bpp.

That UGREEN Revodok adapter has two HDMI outputs (uses a DisplayPort MST hub) but macOS will only let you use one of them. A second display would just be a mirror of the first.

A Thunderbolt dock is superior to a USB-C dock - the DisplayPort or HDMI outputs of a Thunderbolt dock will have all 4 lanes of DisplayPort. 4:2:0 or DSC is not needed in that case unless you want HDR or 10bpc.

Reactions: Basic75

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks, this one should do the trick, right?
The HDMI port of the Anker is only HDMI 2.0 so it can't do 8K30 or 5K60 unless the OS, GPU, and display support 4:2:0.
The Anker has a pass-through Thunderbolt port, so of course anything connected to that should work as well as anything connected directly to the Thunderbolt port of the Mac.

Mais78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
Yes I was referring to the Thunderbolt port.
As far as HDMI is concerned, back to my initial quedtion, one that works with 8k30 may or may not work with 5k60, correct? What specs do you need to check to make sure it works?
Thanks

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
As far as HDMI is concerned, back to my initial quedtion, one that works with 8k30 may or may not work with 5k60, correct? What specs do you need to check to make sure it works?
It should work, but nothing is guaranteed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.