Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Just wondering if its even possible? It would be nice if in the future we could have more control using different taps, such as volume up or down or skipping tracks. Or are those of us with the first generation ones out of luck? I'm thinking one day we might be able to have these functions, but would hate to have to buy a new pair....

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Just wondering if its even possible? It would be nice if in the future we could have more control using different taps, such as volume up or down or skipping tracks. Or are those of us with the first generation ones out of luck? I'm thinking one day we might be able to have these functions, but would hate to have to buy a new pair....

I think this would more be a functionality update within iOS. Maybe not a single tap kind of thing but double tap software could allow you to do whatever you want. Or triple or quadruple tap could be added.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
I think the lack of controls is the biggest downfall to the AirPods. Having more control with different taps would make them so much better!

Well that, and better battery life. I don't use mine for music much. Mostly phone calls. I had one in for just under 5 hours today, with probably 25 phone calls, and it was at 1% by noon.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
We're all hoping so.

In saying that though, I think once people work out Siri, then it becomes are more pleasurable experience.

Stating volume level percentage & Skipping are the major things to say correctly, but I'm just having a play around now - asking Siri what this tracks name is, what album it's off, when the song was released....it opens up the potential to gathering info for the random music Spotify etc. is introducing to you.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Apple can diagnose and read battery information at the Genius Bar via the iPhone so I would think so.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I don't see why it could not be updated.. It would probably be through an iOS update as previously stated then upon the next AirPod connection it could push the files over via the BT connection...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.