Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperJoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2005
I have a Windows network that is 100% wired. Since buying an iPod and ripping all of my CD's to my hard drive, I want to play them on my stereo. The Airport Express seems to be the best way to integrate the two, but without a wireless network, will it work? I can't tell if the Ethernet port is only for DSL/Cable or if I can connect it to my network.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
It seems to me that if you don't have a wireless network, the easiest way to connect to the stereo is from the headphone jack of the computer. Seems like a waste of $130 just to connect to a stereo.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
You can connect any network cable to the AE - it doesn't need to be from a DSL/cable modem. Whether or not the stereo link will work, I'm not sure, but my guess is that it will work perfectly - I don't think the AE cares if it gets the iTunes info wirelessly or via the network cable.

However, as mentioned above, audio cables are vastly cheaper.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The AirPort Express has an option to play music (AirTunes) through the ethernet. It's in the Music tab in the AirPort admin utility.

SuperJoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2005
My computer is at the other end of the house. My house is wired with Cat5 cable, so I have a wired network for all of my computers. There's a network jack by my stereo.

Thanks, Bear, I'll probably pick one up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.