Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I just read that AirTags don’t work both ways like Tile does. In other words you can’t press on the AirTag to ping your phone if have your keys but misplaced your iPhone. Is this correct? Why would Apple not include that feature?

Reactions: Retrostarscream

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
There is no way that I can see you can ping your phone. At least not in this version/software.
You can however, ping the other way around. You can ping the tag from your phone.

"Ping it. Find it."
"Misplacing something like your wallet doesn’t have to be a big deal when it has AirTag attached. You can play a sound on the built-in speaker by going to the new Items tab in the Find My app, or say “Hey Siri, find my wallet.” If it’s hiding nearby — like under the couch or in the next room — just follow the sound and your search is over."

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Eh, I would rather just ping my iPhone from my Apple Watch. Or HomePod. Or wife/sister/friend phone. The Tile to phone ping always went off at the worst time in my pocket.
i would expect Apple to design a product that can do both without errant pings.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
Eh, I would rather just ping my iPhone from my Apple Watch. Or HomePod. Or wife/sister/friend phone. The Tile to phone ping always went off at the worst time in my pocket.
I think that this is the case for many people. If I was to lose my phone I would use one of those devices that you mention (or iPad/Mac).

However, quite a lot of people only have an iPhone as an apple device, and if they decide to get Airtags then they would miss this functionality. I thought it was likely that this would be possible.

Reactions: countryside

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
I understand that. I would be curious though how many people buying AirTags already own an Apple Watch. I don't carry my keys around all day, so would never use the "click for ping." But also, the added button made the Tile devices more fragile. Not to mention most people hated the feature as it ALWAYS went off in pockets.

The white dome is the speaker on the AirTags. It couldn't be a button due to the need for it to be a more rigid structure for noise.
I think that this is the case for many people. If I was to lose my phone I would use one of those devices that you mention (or iPad/Mac).

However, quite a lot of people only have an iPhone as an apple device, and if they decide to get Airtags then they would miss this functionality. I thought it was likely that this would be possible.
I agree. Maybe this will be a feature in AirTag 2.0?

Reactions: Retrostarscream

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Tim Cook wants to let you know that if you misplaced your iPhone you should use an Apple Watch to ping it via control center.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
All you need is a web browser to ping an iPhone, and I'm sure people have friends with computer, iPads, or iPhones.
I was just responding to a post that said people could use their other Apple devices to ping the phone by mentioning that they may not have other Apple devices.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I just read that AirTags don’t work both ways like Tile does. In other words you can’t press on the AirTag to ping your phone if have your keys but misplaced your iPhone. Is this correct? Why would Apple not include that feature?

I gave my wife a tile with this feature. She kept accidentally activating the ping your phone, to the point she got so fed up with it she ripped the tile off her key ring and threw it in the bin.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
You can ping your iPhone by… an Apple Watch ? now you see why the AirTags don’t support it.
That’s what I do (or use my HomePod) but many folks don‘t have either of those. Apple is going to Apple. Personally I think “precision finding” is just a cute gimmick.

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
I think they already explored this. Apple probably thinks since everyone has an Apple Watch, people will be able to locate their phones.
If the airtags had this it’ll be priced a bit more, maybe $50

Ahboyd

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
They call it Airtag 2 so you can pay them twice.

Ahboyd

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
I gave my wife a tile with this feature. She kept accidentally activating the ping your phone, to the point she got so fed up with it she ripped the tile off her key ring and threw it in the bin.
Accidentally pressing the key could be easily prevented by Pressing 3 times within 3 seconds or something similar.

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
You can ping your iPhone by… an Apple Watch ? now you see why the AirTags don’t support it.
You cannot ping your phone by…an Apple Watch if you do not own the latter product. Now you see why the OP’s question is relevant to some people.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
You cannot ping your phone by…an Apple Watch if you do not own the latter product. Now you see why the OP’s question is relevant to some people.
You must be fun at parties. Don’t you see the snark here?

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
Yes, that’s obvious…in response to a silly comment that assumed all owners of one product own the other by default.
I think the silly comment originally came from apple, who suggested that people use an Apple Watch for kids rather than use airtags. I assume that was what the other poster was referring to (hence the smiley).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.