Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
California
Can you use your iPhone as an MP3 player without it being activated by a cell service provider? I was considering getting a 7th generation iPod for taking to the gym, but quickly realized that the prices on eBay are close to the price of an iPhone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Can you use your iPhone as an MP3 player without it being activated by a cell service provider? I was considering getting a 7th generation iPod for taking to the gym, but quickly realized that the prices on eBay are close to the price of an iPhone.
As @Shadowbech stated, yes.

But you can also still use it as a phone too - without a carrier. All you need is the Google Voice app and a Google Voice number (which the app can give you). Free calls, free texts all over WiFi. And iCloud/iMessage also works over WiFi too (you just use an email address for iMessage instead of a phone number).

Last edited:

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
As @Shadowbech stated, yes.

But you can also still use it as a phone too - without a carrier. All you need is the Google Voice app and a Google Voice number (which the app can give you). Free calls, free texts all over WiFi. And iCloud/iMessage also works over WiFi too (you just use an email address for iMessage instead of a phone number).
That's very interesting to know!
I have a retired 4G flip phone.
From what you say, I should be able to set that up to use with Google Voice?

Reactions: Shadowbech

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's very interesting to know!
I have a retired 4G flip phone.
From what you say, I should be able to set that up to use with Google Voice?
Well, the Google Voice app is going to have certain minimum requirements - especially where it concerns iPhone. I'm not sure about flip phones. But any phone that can still run a reasonably current version of Google Voice can be used over WiFi.

Reactions: Shadowbech

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
In the good old days you could use Freeup Mobile (which I still use) but there are super cheap talk/text only plans if you ever needed one.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Presently, the Google Voice app requires iOS 14…so you need an iPhone 6S or newer. It's an odd requirement as no iPhone out there has iOS 14 as its official final version.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
There is free cellular providers too but it is limited on gigs of data, talk time, and text amounts.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Kind of like the Corvair of phones. 🤣
My dad rented a Corvair once…late 1960s in Florida somewhere. Nearly killed him when he spun out on the freeway and ended up facing oncoming traffic. :)

He swore he'd never drive one of them ever again. :D

But yes, you are correct. I did mention needing the app…twice. :)

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I still use my iphone 4S (no phone carrier) for many things
- Voice recording
- Night flashlight.
- Listen to music
- Simple photo and video shooting
- As a clock
- As a running meter (great GPS)
- A simple leveling instrument
- Sound pressure measure

Reactions: eyoungren

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Yes I use my father in law's old iPhone 5 as an iPod. When he had it the battery swelled so Apple fixed it, then he got another phone shortly afterwards. So he gave it to me with a fairly new battery. It asks for activation but I close that out.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I still use my iphone 4S (no phone carrier) for many things
- Voice recording
- Night flashlight.
- Listen to music
- Simple photo and video shooting
- As a clock
- As a running meter (great GPS)
- A simple leveling instrument
- Sound pressure measure
I've heard that the 4s has a very good DAC. In fact, what I heard, was that of all the iPhone models out there it had the best DAC. How true that is, IDK. But I have a 4s (8GB model) and the sound is pretty good.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes I use my father in law's old iPhone 5 as an iPod. When he had it the battery swelled so Apple fixed it, then he got another phone shortly afterwards. So he gave it to me with a fairly new battery. It asks for activation but I close that out.
The 5 is kind of prone to that. I've had two of my own and one of my wife's replaced up into 2017 for swelling batteries. Was going to do it again about two years ago but Apple support (I called before I went to a store) said no.

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
At some point I guess they stopped worrying about your house catching fire and burning down.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
At some point I guess they stopped worrying about your house catching fire and burning down.
Well…I kind of hinted at that the last time I had my 5 replaced. I took it in and they told me I had to wait for them to order the replacement in. That meant keeping my 5 with bulging battery around at home until the replacement came in.

When I asked about that, the Genius went in the back and talked to the techs. Apparently, each battery is wrapped in a tough sleeve. The sleeve is designed to expand and contract with the battery and Apple accounted for battery swelling with the sleeve design. As long as the sleeve remains intact and is not punctured or damaged in any way then it's safe. What happens to the electronics in the phone because of extreme swelling is a different matter.

But this is also why Apple sends phones with swollen batteries to special depots. Those facilities have the tools (and fire suppression systems) to handle punctured batteries. Your regular Apple store does not have that. This is why Apple replaces phones entirely instead of replacing just a swollen battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.