Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbjacob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Nanjing, China
I want to buy a Mac Pro 2010/2012, and want to install a PCIE SSD as the startup disk. According to the previous posts, SM951 SSD together with Lycom DT-120 M.2 Adaptor can boot the system. It’s not easy for me to buy the Lycom adaptor in my country. So I wonder if any third-party M.2 NGFF adaptor can make a PCIE SSD bootable in Mac Pro.

In all, my main questions are as follows:

1.Which is the key factor of making a PCIE SSD bootable in Mac Pro? The SSD, the main board, the adaptor card, or the OS X system?

2.What about another M.2 NGFF adaptor that is not Lycom DT-120? Will the adaptor make the SM951 SSD bootable?

3.Assuming that, the PCIE SSD is the only hard disk in my Mac Pro, after installing the adaptor and the PCIE SSD and powering on the Mac, can I install the OS X 10.11 on the SSD directly through the Internet? Are there any actions need to do on the adaptor or the SSD before the installing?

Thank you very much!

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Any will do. These are pass-through adapters i.e. no controller, no drivers, just signals "rearrangers".

A Hobo

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Somewhere between Here and There
I want to buy a Mac Pro 2010/2012, and want to install a PCIE SSD as the startup disk. According to the previous posts, SM951 SSD together with Lycom DT-120 M.2 Adaptor can boot the system. It’s not easy for me to buy the Lycom adaptor in my country. So I wonder if any third-party M.2 NGFF adaptor can make a PCIE SSD bootable in Mac Pro.

In all, my main questions are as follows:

1.Which is the key factor of making a PCIE SSD bootable in Mac Pro? The SSD, the main board, the adaptor card, or the OS X system?

2.What about another M.2 NGFF adaptor that is not Lycom DT-120? Will the adaptor make the SM951 SSD bootable?

3.Assuming that, the PCIE SSD is the only hard disk in my Mac Pro, after installing the adaptor and the PCIE SSD and powering on the Mac, can I install the OS X 10.11 on the SSD directly through the Internet? Are there any actions need to do on the adaptor or the SSD before the installing?

Thank you very much!

There is a JZLL adapter that does the same thing as the lycom.
you should be able to get that in china.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.