Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Hello, I'm in the camp of "waiting to see what happens with iPhone 1.1.1 before purchasing an iPhone for use as a Touch with camera/external speaker".

I'm wondering if anybody can tell me a little about the activation process, if jailbreaking (etc) is a prereq. for activation, or if activation can be done easier somehow. I'm assuming that because the phone is completly locked down at the moment, activation will come once jailbreaking is done, but again I wanted to check :)

Just fyi, I don't care about an unlock (I'm Verizon CDMA), and I don't care THAT much about 3rd party apps, I just want the phone to be usable as a non phone :).

Thanks!

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Actually I think Activation is a prerequisite for Jailbreaking, but I'm no expert in the matter. As it stands now with 1.0.2 Activation is really really simple and the whole 3rd party apps installation was flawless with me.

Remember that if you buy a phone that comes with 1.0.2 and not 1.1.1 you can ignore the update and use all the 3rd party apps you want and if I am not mistaken there is a newly found way to downgrade to 1.0.2 should you have the bad luck to get a 1.1.1 unit (although with mixed results).

Either way, it'll probably take some time until 1.1.1 cracks up, but I really don't *need* the update as it stands now and if you are in a hurry you can get the iPhone and use it as an iPod, as far as things are going.

vladdomania

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
Use iNdependence

You can use iNdependence to activate the iPhone; it's very easy and harmless... I have done that successfully, with firmware prior to 1.1.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.