Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
i get featured and search option, no app store option. If i do the multi tap thing i can see where it says app store but then it crashes or just goes back to the first options.

am I missing something?

priscilla55

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Falkirk, Scotland
there is a banner that says something about experiencing apple watch apps. still isn't a full solution though, we need a dedicated apple watch app store i guess.

There is a dedicated Apple watch App Store - it's contained within your Apple watch app on your phone. It works fine for me and I presume for most other people. Maybe try reinstalling your watch app on your phone?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
There is a dedicated Apple watch App Store - it's contained within your Apple watch app on your phone. It works fine for me and I presume for most other people. Maybe try reinstalling your watch app on your phone?

I think that's just a page to show you the featured apps, not a full watch appstore. There are thousands of apps support Apple Watch, but only a few at there.

priscilla55

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Falkirk, Scotland
I think that's just a page to show you the featured apps, not a full watch appstore. There are thousands of apps support Apple Watch, but only a few at there.

It works exactly the same way as the regular App Store. There are featured apps that can be reached with the star button and it has a search button that only returns Apple watch apps. Searching will produce results from every watch app available.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
It works exactly the same way as the regular App Store. There are featured apps that can be reached with the star button and it has a search button that only returns Apple watch apps. Searching will produce results from every watch app available.

this is what I figured as well. Searching makes it great if you know what you are searching for. I am sure that there will be revisions to make it easier to bombard our watches with 100's of apps like our phones lol

overlyunderme

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Houston
I think there's some confusion in regards to the App Store for the watch, so I'll try my best to clear it up.

There is no dedicated button for "App Store" for the Apple Watch. All we have is the Featured button. When you click on Featured it takes you to a certain set of apps that Apple has recommened just like the iPhone/iPad App Store. But what we don't see is is the Explore or Top Charts buttons that take us to other apps that we may be interested in beyond the Featured ones. However, we can see more apps by clicking on "Categories" in the top left corner. This takes us to the rest of the apps. If you want to dig further, you need to click on See All so that more options will come up.

Where the confusion comes in is that many people think that there are thousands of apps out there for the Apple Watch, which there are not. There are only hundreds, and I mean low hundreds out there right now. So what you see listed is what we have. I'm sure more are to come, just give it time.

mailboxbetacoin

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2014
I think there's some confusion in regards to the App Store for the watch, so I'll try my best to clear it up.

There is no dedicated button for "App Store" for the Apple Watch. All we have is the Featured button. When you click on Featured it takes you to a certain set of apps that Apple has recommened just like the iPhone/iPad App Store. But what we don't see is is the Explore or Top Charts buttons that take us to other apps that we may be interested in beyond the Featured ones. However, we can see more apps by clicking on "Categories" in the top left corner. This takes us to the rest of the apps. If you want to dig further, you need to click on See All so that more options will come up.

Where the confusion comes in is that many people think that there are thousands of apps out there for the Apple Watch, which there are not. There are only hundreds, and I mean low hundreds out there right now. So what you see listed is what we have. I'm sure more are to come, just give it time.

There are ~3,500 apps compatible with the Watch, not "low hundreds"

overlyunderme

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Houston
can anyone actually get the full app store?

Yes, but where are they? What is available to us right now sure isn't anywhere close to 3,500. (At least not in the Apple Watch Featured/Categories section).

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The apps are there, but just no way to browse the list. You need to know what you are looking for (e.g. calculator), and then search inside the Apple Watch app (not the appstore app).

overlyunderme

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Houston
Ah, I see what they mean now. All the apps are not listed in the Apple Watch app Featured/Categories section. There are apps that have an Apple Watch component and they are in the regular App Store. For instance, the app "Clear" is not available directly from the Apple Watch app section, but if you go to the regular iPhone/iPad App Store, it is there and when you click on it, you'll see something below it that says it offers an Apple Watch component. That's where the number 3,500 comes from and I will admit that I was wrong about that part.

But it all goes back to everyone asking where is the full Apple Watch App Store? There isn't one. The two are intermingled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.