Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marianodaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
I've looked around the forums and found some tips, but I would like your help to put together a cool guideline to setup a kinda old computer, with a (now) very old OS.

I know, security issues and all, but the reality is that I prefer to keep the highest internet hygiene possible, but not experience the extreme lags of other OSes (or maybe actually experience the snappiness of El Cap on this Macbook).

So far these are the apps I'm running that seem to be pretty much supported on El Cap:

Productivity:
Slack: Running Version 4.23.0 without any issues.

Browser:
Vivaldi 4.1.2369.11 (Stable channel) (x86_64) in minimal config works like a charm, only downside is that Youtube videos consume a huge batt amount (and Google keeps pretty much bullying Vivaldi users a lot)
Firefox: 78.15.0esr (64-bit). Beautiful browser. But sometimes lags a lot and some sites are quite broken.

Security:
I was hoping to download Malwarebytes but...

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 14.22.40.png

Extras:
Spotify for macOS (Intel) 1.1.80.699.gc3dac750 works great. Sometimes it seems to go bonkers, but not sure if it's the old OS or something else.
Flux works perfect to imitate Night mode.

marianodaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Why are you staying with El Capitan? That Mac will run Monterey.
Hello @Mike Boreham ! Because El Cap works extremely fast on my Mac. The newer versions are extremely slow or laggy, and there is no troubleshooting that can get them to work normal. As soon as I go back to my Mac's original OS, it works perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.