Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dUnKle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2020
I am fully commuted to the apple eco system. Watch. Phone. iPad etc.

I have Apple one and use the individual plan

I have two “issues”

My 50gb of cloud storage is pretty much full

And I want to allow my daughter and my partner to listen to Apple Music also

How does this all work ?
I don’t mind paying the extra but I don’t want it to be possible that my daughter could accidentally make any purchases etc that would go to my account

Can anyone give me an idiots guide and how setup ?

Thanks and all the best

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013

Setting up a minor Apple ID is separate from subscribing to Apple One. There are many YouTube videos walking through the whole process.

dUnKle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2020
Thanks.
I’m still unsure about the payment options and In particular would someone using my sharing be able to make purchases using my saved payment method

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Thanks.
I’m still unsure about the payment options and In particular would someone using my sharing be able to make purchases using my saved payment method

It's a little convoluted but essentially all purchase are initially set up to be billed to the family organizer's payment method, however, each family member can be set up w/ their own payment method. If a family member's payment method doesn't cover the costs of a purchase, the family organizer's payment method covers the remainder. The family organizer can require purchase approval before purchases are made.

dUnKle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2020

It's a little convoluted but essentially all purchase are initially set up to be billed to the family organizer's payment method, however, each family member can be set up w/ their own payment method. If a family member's payment method doesn't cover the costs of a purchase, the family organizer's payment method covers the remainder. The family organizer can require purchase approval before purchases are made.

Thank you
It does sound convoluted
Don’t want them to be able to run risk of using my card.
My partner has her own payment method set up and I only ever use prepay cards for my daughter due to age.

Also, how does the iCloud space work ?
With that being shareable would we all have access to each others documents ?
I have photos uploaded to mine, some of which are Xmas gift ideas so I’d not want them to see those

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
With that being shareable would we all have access to each others documents
No. The iCloud storage space amount is used across the family members, not the documents, etc., stored within.

dUnKle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2020
Thank you
So it is just the payment issue that remains I guess
That the one card is shared across the family.

If went with apple one family and then setup family sharing so got extra cloud space and could share Apple Music can I enable it that it will never use my credit card to make purchase on my partners and daughters devices ?

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
If went with apple one family and then setup family sharing so got extra cloud space and could share Apple Music can I enable it that it will never use my credit card to make purchase on my partners and daughters devices ?

If your daughter’s account is set up as a child account in the family settings you can turn on the option to require approval for all purchases. You will receive a notification when she tries to purchase something, and can approve or decline.

dUnKle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2020
If your daughter’s account is set up as a child account in the family settings you can turn on the option to require approval for all purchases. You will receive a notification when she tries to purchase something, and can approve or decline.

Thanks.
And how will things work for my partner. If she buys an app / subscribes to anything, would that come off my account / payment ?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
And how will things work for my partner. If she buys an app / subscribes to anything, would that come off my account / payment ?
It will come off her set up payment method. If she doesn’t have the funds, it will come off yours. Family Sharing is grouping people with Apple IDs together and sharing purchased apps and subscriptions with each other.

AppleOne is just the bundling of Apple service subscriptions into a single subscription payment. You then share the services among the Family Sharing members.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

dUnKle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2020
It will come off her set up payment method. If she doesn’t have the funds, it will come off yours. Family Sharing is grouping people with Apple IDs together and sharing purchased apps and subscriptions with each other.

AppleOne is just the bundling of Apple service subscriptions into a single subscription payment. You then share the services among the Family Sharing members.

Thank you
So if I sign up for apple one and Get the extra cloud storage it will be business as normal

No extra charges to my account and as secure as is already but with ability to share across our devices ?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
You will need to sign up for the Family tier of AppleOne if you plan to use it with Family Sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.