Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

espeon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Can I get a wired linksys router that is succesfully connected to my PC to create a network with a MAC with AE?

I have a linksys Befsr42 that is successfully networked with my westell A99-211015-00 (I GUESS; I did this using linksys' easylink download) and I have a network cable going from the linksys to the Apple Airport Express base station for our macbook. We have successfully gotten internet access on the macbook. When we get internet access on the Macbook, we cannot get it on the PC and vice versa. I called apple and they helped me set up a proper network on the macbook but said they do not support linksys.

At one point the macbook said the modem has to be in bridge mode. But the westell modem box says it is "wirespeed dual connect bridge."

I tried some stuff, all of which I can't even remember now, and at this point the airport express is blinking orange, even though it had been green. The macbook would have full-bar signal strength but not access the internet.

Should I get a wireless linksys? Will ANYTHING work? Do I need an adaptor (and I don't even know what that is) I bought what the staples guy said I should get.

I really apologize for this, but I know nothing at all and am shocked I could even compose this question (if it is atually coherent). Anyone who answers will have to talk to me like a six-year-old, which is how I feel intellectually after trying to understand all this stuff.

Please help! Please please please.

edited to say -- what if I get an ethernet card for my PC? Will linksys send a signal to both computers that way. does that make any sense and if it does, will someone explain how to do that, also? I've forgotten everything I ever understood about this, given my current level of confusion.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
OK, didn't quite follow everything there, but let me tell you what I have, and see if that helps...

I have my cable modem hooked up to a wireless router, I believe is a linksys, and that wireless network runs my windows laptops on a 2.4GHz g network. I have an ethernet cable going from a port on that to the 'in' port on my airport extreme, and that is on 5GHz only, n network for apple computers. They are separate wireless networks, and my apples can get on both without a prob, my windows laptops are only g, so they only see the 2.4GHz network, but can access the apples and the printer and harddrive connected to the airport because of the physical connection.

espeon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
:) David, Thank you for your reply!

I have this question: what do you think would happen if I plugged the DSL line directly into airport express base station and then put an ethernet card into my PC? Would Airport express send a signal to the ethernet card in my PC? Does this make any sense? (my pc is a desktop)

Megatron

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2005
Espeon, you can't use an ethernet card in your desktop with airport express. An ethernet card needs a physical cord to plug into the router, and airport express is only wireless.

You CAN use a wireless card (802.11b or 802.11g) in your desktop and connect to the airport express that way.

Just make sure you use the right network card in your desktop. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.