Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I have a 2009 Xserve that arrived with some internal damage. I was able to repair the CPU pins, but the SATA controller or something similarly crucial seems to be totally beyond the pale.

Disks power up, but aren’t seen no matter what I do. I can boot no problem from external sources.

So, can anyone recommend me a relatively cheap PCIe SATA card that will definitely work with my Xserve, preferably with at least 3 internal SATA ports?

Reactions: LightBulbFun

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I forgot that the front drive bays on the Xserve use specific caddies that would make wiring a standard SATA cable from a PCIE card at the back impossible to use with them. This means the best internal solution is a card which a 2.5" drive mounts onto directly. Seeing as I have a 500GB 2.5" disk lying around this is a good way forward.

I found on Macsales These PCI cards so see if you want any of these!

I did some poking around on MacSales, and while not at first obvious, I did find a 2.5" PCIE card that is reasonably priced and marked as compatible with my Xserve!

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/SSDACL6G.S/

I'm settled on that now and will be ordering it soon. Thanks satcomer for your suggestion. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.