Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King4ever35

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2016
I was not clear: the stylus I need is...

Hello everyone, thanks to all who took their time to respond to my original post. Unfortunately I was not clear enough in my request. The stylus I am looking for needs to operate without my fingers holding it. How is that possible? The stylus will be attached to a robotic device that taps my ipod touch for me. Therefore, my fingers will not be touching the stylus and will not be able to send a current to the screen through it. I need a stylus that can interact with a capacitive touch screen completely on its own. I have searched the internet high and low for such a stylus, but no one seems to understand what I am looking for. I may be the first person in need of such a thing but I doubt it. Any ideas?
Um, this might not help much but you 'Technically' don't need to be touching anything to use it as a stylus, well at least metal that is!! Any shape or form of metal that is to your specifications, AND YOU DON'T NEED TO ATTACH ANY RUBBER OR ARTIFICAL THUMB LIKE IMPRINT TO MAKE IT WORK!!! It's because that due to how pretty much the only way electrical currents can travel through things is usually through some sort of metal! There are some types of metal that stops electricity right in its path but usually STEEL and ALUMINIUM can let electricity pass through it meaning if you don't want to touch your phone to turn on the flashlight at night and there is some form of 'metal' near you, then just tap the screen on the metal at the right angle to turn it on!! I mean why don't yoh think that THOR'S hammer has the ability to summon lightning from the sky?... Because his hammer is made of METAL!!! Same as when real lightning strikes metal more often then anything else! Which is why I want to suggest that we invent a powering grid that attracts lightning to it and when lightning strikes it, it conserves the 1 million volts of electricity and uses it to power homes buildings and many other things!!

P.S. I know people agree with me when I say this but they should invent a garbage can that has a removable weight that slides in the bottom and holds down the garbage can so it doesn't keep falling over when a storm or strong wind hits!! No more trash on the street or anywhere else!!! YAAAY!
-Richard Billings

Reactions: misschrys

titanium007

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2016
Ok, I Didn't Want To Do This...

I am going to have to explain exactly what I need the stylus for because it is the only way to be fair to you guys for trying to help me. I know it is dorky, but here is the reason: I need a machine to tap my ipod for me so that I can collect points on a certain app while I'm at work. Obviously this means that no part of my body can make contact with the stylus. I already built the machine; it is a 1rpm electric motor that spins a wooden lathe. A rod lays across the lathe, one end hinged to the same platform as the motor, the other end clamping the stylus. The rod rests on the spinning lathe until it reaches a notch I cut in the lathe and drops (about half an inch). The stylus also drops, tapping the ipod touch screen every 1 minute. As I said before, the stylus I purchased for this setup (it was a capacitive stylus that works well when in my fingers) did not register a "touch." Some of the things you guys mentioned are probably on the right track. Coy-technorat... could you provide me with the exact model stylus you used to unlock your ipod touch? You mentioned bamboo... is that the brand or the medium? Thanks again to all who gave me their time. I really appreciate it. Even if I am a dork.

it's Boom Beach, isn't it? ;)

robert82748@yahoo

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2016
Greetings all,

I am in need of a stylus or anything that will register a "touch" on an iPod touchscreen without requiring a human finger. I purchased a stylus only to realize that my fingers had to touch it in order for it to work. Would the capacitive touch screen sense a battery operated device? I do not need to understand the technology... I just want something that I don't have to touch that can still register a "touch" on my iPod's touchscreen. I'll explain why I need it if I find something that works. Regards,
Use a raw carrot

Jjjuxjsnzhkauw

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2016
Ok, I Didn't Want To Do This...

I am going to have to explain exactly what I need the stylus for because it is the only way to be fair to you guys for trying to help me. I know it is dorky, but here is the reason: I need a machine to tap my ipod for me so that I can collect points on a certain app while I'm at work. Obviously this means that no part of my body can make contact with the stylus. I already built the machine; it is a 1rpm electric motor that spins a wooden lathe. A rod lays across the lathe, one end hinged to the same platform as the motor, the other end clamping the stylus. The rod rests on the spinning lathe until it reaches a notch I cut in the lathe and drops (about half an inch). The stylus also drops, tapping the ipod touch screen every 1 minute. As I said before, the stylus I purchased for this setup (it was a capacitive stylus that works well when in my fingers) did not register a "touch." Some of the things you guys mentioned are probably on the right track. Coy-technorat... could you provide me with the exact model stylus you used to unlock your ipod touch? You mentioned bamboo... is that the brand or the medium? Thanks again to all who gave me their time. I really appreciate it. Even if I am a dork.
[doublepost=1477285992][/doublepost]U can use sponge it works great and it foesnt need a finger if ur using that kind of machinr

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
My three-year-old daughter was amused to find that a calamansi (a tiny, sweet lemon-like fruit) worked with the iPad. She used the small fruit for the rest of the iPad session that day.

Giuliodevita

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2017
iLapis-Capacitive-Pencil-Stylus.jpg
Greetings all,

I am in need of a stylus or anything that will register a "touch" on an iPod touchscreen without requiring a human finger...

[doublepost=1490303252][/doublepost]Find out how a normal pencil works on touch screen https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ilapis/ilapis

sorcery

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Ring of Fire
My three-year-old daughter was amused to find that a calamansi (a tiny, sweet lemon-like fruit) worked with the iPad. She used the small fruit for the rest of the iPad session that day.
If I am talking about the same thing, Calamansi is Tagalog for Lime. According to my housekeeper anyway...

Mas1884

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2017
Yes!

Mt daughters is quadriplegic and uses a head pointer which is home made. I bought 50 styli pens (styluses?) online from China cost $39 delivered. I cut them in half and slipped the tube with the rubber tip onto the end of a length of golf club shaft (titanium). The pointer is approx 15" long and is attached to her head by a band and fastened with Velcro...never touches skin. Works a treat:)
[doublepost=1490937217][/doublepost]Hi Scaleez,

This is what i was searching on thr forum for. I really need what u have. Is it possible to send me images of what you did and how? Doesnt require much pressure im sure?

Avid_Dupuis

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2018
Greetings all,

I am in need of a stylus or anything that will register a "touch" on an iPod touchscreen without requiring a human finger. I purchased a stylus only to realize that my fingers had to touch it in order for it to work. Would the capacitive touch screen sense a battery operated device? I do not need to understand the technology... I just want something that I don't have to touch that can still register a "touch" on my iPod's touchscreen. I'll explain why I need it if I find something that works. Regards,
[doublepost=1517372956][/doublepost]
Greetings all,

Did you ever figure this out?

I wanted to use this technique with the canon app while taking night sky timelapses. I’ve tried everything. I basically wanted some thing to replace my finger so I could sleep while the camera was rolling on continuous shot.

This is what worked for me.
I took a skinny long piece of foil, slipped one end between the IPhone and the case. Then the other end was taped to the + side of a AA battery while the - side sat on the IPhone screen ( on the trigger botton)
It Worked!!! It was continuously shooting without me touching it at all.

Hope that helps anyone looking for this.
[doublepost=1517373095][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1490937217][/doublepost]
Hi Scaleez,

This is what i was searching on thr forum for. I really need what u have. Is it possible to send me images of what you did and how? Doesnt require much pressure im sure?

Did you ever figure this out?

I wanted to use this technique with the canon app while taking night sky timelapses. I’ve tried everything. I basically wanted some this to replace my finger so I could sleep while the camera was rolling on continuous shot.

This is what worked for me.
I took a skinny long piece of foil, slipped one end between the IPhone and the case. Then the other end was taped to the + side of a AA battery while the - side sat on the IPhone screen ( on the trigger botton)
It Worked!!! It was continuously shooting without me touching it at all.

Hope that helps anyone looking for this

Last edited:

Sharon W

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2018
You can use aluminium foil over a blunt stick (rubber of a pencil, cap of a marker). It won't damage your screen, but i can't guarantee it. It works for me, it's cheap but it doesn't look very well I purchased a stylus only to realize that my fingers had to touch it in order for it to work
https://www.setonlinealarm.com/

misschrys

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2018
Am I the only one think this is HUGE overkill to collect 'points' in an app? How much Farmville do you play!

I know this is years old, but I am looking for something similar but different, so I landed on this thread. Probably no one still reads it.

But, I just HAVE to say this.

Maybe he IS SEVERELY in over his head with “FarmVille”.
However, it doesn’t necessarily matter WHY he is doing it.
The thing is..... it doesn’t matter how big or small a need is, it doesn’t matter if it’s “dorky”, “ridiculous”, etc.

This world always has, and always will NEED people like the OP.
Why?
Because he has this weird little problem. And he is willing to THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX, to find a solution.

Maybe he figured it out. Maybe he never did. Haven’t finished reading.
But, it’s people that think like this, who cause major impacts on society.
Period.
Problem solvers.
Creative thinking.
Possibility exploration.
They are the Macguvers, the nerds/geeks that work for the government, the ones who become hyperfocused and miss no detail when examining artifacts, or ancient bones.
They are the ones who think up things like Facebook, Change.org, and 3-D printed prosthetic arms, with capacitive thumbs.

Just saying. KEEP ON THINKING WEIRD DUDE.

[doublepost=1538851907][/doublepost]
A cockatoo tongue.

He was investigating something on my iPhone, with the keyboard up, and I let him get close to the display. He managed to type a character with his tongue.

While he does verbally communicate with us (and vice-versa), I don't have the patience (and I don't think he does either...) to teach him to text. :)

I actually do that on my Apple Watch when my hands are busy/full/covered in soapy water.
[doublepost=1538852166][/doublepost]
Um, this might not help much but you 'Technically' don't need to be touching anything to use it as a stylus, well at least metal that is!! Any shape or form of metal that is to your specifications, AND YOU DON'T NEED TO ATTACH ANY RUBBER OR ARTIFICAL THUMB LIKE IMPRINT TO MAKE IT WORK!!! It's because that due to how pretty much the only way electrical currents can travel through things is usually through some sort of metal! There are some types of metal that stops electricity right in its path but usually STEEL and ALUMINIUM can let electricity pass through it meaning if you don't want to touch your phone to turn on the flashlight at night and there is some form of 'metal' near you, then just tap the screen on the metal at the right angle to turn it on!! I mean why don't yoh think that THOR'S hammer has the ability to summon lightning from the sky?... Because his hammer is made of METAL!!! Same as when real lightning strikes metal more often then anything else! Which is why I want to suggest that we invent a powering grid that attracts lightning to it and when lightning strikes it, it conserves the 1 million volts of electricity and uses it to power homes buildings and many other things!!

P.S. I know people agree with me when I say this but they should invent a garbage can that has a removable weight that slides in the bottom and holds down the garbage can so it doesn't keep falling over when a storm or strong wind hits!! No more trash on the street or anywhere else!!! YAAAY!
-Richard Billings

I am with you on ALL accounts here. Lol.
Stupid (and lazy) thinking can lead to great ideas.

Hemialha

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2020
So my son wanted an item to lay on the screen that would function like a continual press and scientifically discovered that cooked pasta worked (no sauce required). I am no scientist and offer no explanation as to why it works.

GGI565

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2022
Greetings all,

Greetings,

I'm a mechanical engineer but rigging stuff up, and sometimes breaking them in the process, is my everyday hobby. So this is an old thread on here that I just stumbled by mere chance. So I assume you may have already found a working solution. But just in case you haven't, here's a quick and relatively simple fix for you:

Have a AAA battery attached to the arm of the machine that you mentioned. You may need to add an extension rod (of any material, even wood would work) to secure one end of the battery since a AAA batt is quite short in length (~1.5 inches) and then the other end of the extension would of course be attached to the grip of the mechanical arm. Anyone could easily set this up for you if you are unable to yourself.

That will be all. It should work without the need of any aluminum foil wrapping or other hard materials that may scratch your screen. The battery's charge shoud suffice in getting the job done without the need of a human body interacting with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.