Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
GM everyone,
I wanted to see if the backplate on my wife’s iPhone 11 can be repaired or not before I waste any of my time driving an hour to an Apple Store & waiting. Has anyone had this fixed on their iP11 ??

Attachments

• 8BFA6D9F-ACA8-43EF-AC62-FA696EE7F04E.jpeg
    8BFA6D9F-ACA8-43EF-AC62-FA696EE7F04E.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 163

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Yes. The glass backplate can be replaced by Apple. It’s not cheap though so I hope you have AppleCare+!

It’s an extensive repair job so you will have to phone your local Apple store and possibly get booked in.

Reactions: scapegoat81

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Yes. The glass backplate can be replaced by Apple. It’s not cheap though so I hope you have AppleCare+!

It’s an extensive repair job so you will have to phone your local Apple store and possibly get booked in.
I don’t have AC+ on this but if it’s under the price of a new device, than I’m ok w/ that

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
By any chance, do ya know how much ?
I think it’s $399 for such a repair. I know you’d consider going ahead with it if it’s cheaper than a new phone, but I would give a new phone some serious consideration at that really high price point.

From my own personal perspective, I would not be paying $399 for a repair, I’d be buying a whole new phone and upgrading to something like a 13. Even a refurbished like-for-like replacement from eBay would be a cheaper option.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
a refurbished like-for-like replacement from eBay would be a cheaper option.
A "refurbished" eBay phone is nothing more than a used phone that's been cleaned and may have some degree of warranty from the seller and as such would sell for more than an actually comparable used phone. It's not comparable to what Apple offers in its refurbished product program.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
A "refurbished" eBay phone is nothing more than a used phone that's been cleaned and may have some degree of warranty from the seller and as such would sell for more than an actually comparable used phone. It's not comparable to what Apple offers in its refurbished product program.
Yes, I agree. They’re just cleaned up used phones and are not refurbished by definition. I stand corrected… they are still considerably cheaper than the cost of repair and thus would be a better option. If I were the OP I would explore other options such as a new iPhone, a second hand one or a certified Apple refurbished rather then an overpriced repair job.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes, I agree. They’re just cleaned up used phones and are not refurbished by definition. I stand corrected… they are still considerably cheaper than the cost of repair and thus would be a better option. If I were the OP I would explore other options such as a new iPhone, a second hand one or a certified Apple refurbished rather then an overpriced repair job.
Yeah, regardless, I definitely wouldn't put $400 into an iPhone 11 at this point.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
GM everyone,
I wanted to see if the backplate on my wife’s iPhone 11 can be repaired or not before I waste any of my time driving an hour to an Apple Store & waiting. Has anyone had this fixed on their iP11 ??
The iPhone 11 (all models) requires replacement for back glass. Only with the iPhone 12 and 13 models did Apple come up with a way to replace/repair the back.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
For the future: Cases help protect against accidental drops
So does safe handling, situational awareness, spatial awareness (where your device is in space at any given time) and being careful about where you set down and keep your device.

Cases allow people to be lazy about the safety of their phone if they want.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
So does safe handling, situational awareness, spatial awareness (where your device is in space at any given time) and being careful about where you set down and keep your device.

All those points are true, but a case provides several times more protection IF you end up dropping your phone in an accident. I dropped my iPhone 8 3-4 times per week, including on concrete pavements, and it’s still in “as new” condition with no visible marks, dents or scratches. I never removed the case or tempered glass protector through its life and it paid off well for me.

I used a Tech 21 rubber bumper case and it literally bounced off hard floors and pavements causing zero damage.

Reactions: AlexMac89

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Not quite. I have dropped my phone twice in the last year. Both times it has been saved thanks to the case.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes, it won't be cheap, get a case.
Yes?

As in yes it can be repaired?

Because it can't. Only the 12 and 13 series back glass can be repaired. The 11 series requires complete replacement of the phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not quite. I have dropped my phone twice in the last year. Both times it has been saved thanks to the case.
And since 2009 when I first started carrying smart phones and learning to be careful with them I have broken a grand total of 2 phones. That's 13 years without a case.

All because I was careful.

I would argue that most case users drop their phones more than non-case users do. Why, because there's that thing in the back of your head that tells you "It's in a case, it'll be okay".

• Haha

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
And since 2009 when I first started carrying smart phones and learning to be careful with them I have broken a grand total of 2 phones. That's 13 years without a case.

All because I was careful.

I would argue that most case users drop their phones more than non-case users do. Why, because there's that thing in the back of your head that tells you "It's in a case, it'll be okay".
That's great of you to be so careful. How can you speak of what I am thinking. The last thing I want to do is drop the phone. While yes there is a case, the bent frame or other defects still appear and I am quite irked by those type of things.

Phone drops happen to anyone and everyone for reasons completely unrelated to "It's in a case, IDC".

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
That's great of you to be so careful. How can you speak of what I am thinking. The last thing I want to do is drop the phone. While yes there is a case, the bent frame or other defects still appear and I am quite irked by those type of things.

Phone drops happen to anyone and everyone for reasons completely unrelated to "It's in a case, IDC".
It’s the shape of the phone also. My 12 Mini, which is obviously in a case, has been dropped many times, along with my 6S and 8, whereas the SE’16 I am using at the moment has never been dropped. I keep it in a gel case anyway in the event of an accident but the dimensions are so perfect in my hands I have never actually dropped it.

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019
GM everyone,
Apple is quite expensive cause they replace ur phone back housing instead of just the glass. maybe a third party repair shop would be a cheaper choice if they have the tools required

take a look at this video from REWA:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.