Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Anyone know if Apple can update a M1 mini or do I have to buy a new mini? Have 1 TB but need 2 TB drive. Am considering a M3 mini whenever it comes out but thought I would ask anyways. Thanks.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Anyone know if Apple can update a M1 mini or do I have to buy a new mini? Have 1 TB but need 2 TB drive.
If you are within the return window, you can exchange for Mac mini w/ higher capacity internal storage. Otherwise, no. Internal storage and memory are soldered to the board. You have to choose both at time of purchase.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Can they? Probably.

Will they? Certainly not.
Of course Apple could swap out the board.

By the time Apple charges for an hour of tech support and a new board, the cost is more than the net cost of simply selling the old Mini and buying a new one.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Thanks folks. Kind of figured but thought I would ask. I have a very large iphoto library (300GB) thats eating up the disk. Already have a external for all my ripped movies (1.5 TB) so thats almost full. Guess I will hang tight for a M3 mini/studio to upgrade.

Reactions: MBAir2010

bzgnyc2

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2023
Thanks folks. Kind of figured but thought I would ask. I have a very large iphoto library (300GB) thats eating up the disk. Already have a external for all my ripped movies (1.5 TB) so thats almost full. Guess I will hang tight for a M3 mini/studio to upgrade.
I keep my entire user account on an external SSD (and even on my laptop a partition/container separate from the system one). I haven't seen this break any applications, etc.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
external ssd GBs drives are cheap now....
very
cheap!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.