Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
USA
My 90 year old father wants an Apple Watch but does not have an iPhone with cell service. He has an iPhone 5 that he just uses like an iPod.

He is a big Apple fan and just wants an Apple Watch. He is deaf and does not use or want a telephone. Rarely leaves the house so he will always have WiFi or be in bluetooth range.

He will want to use it for heart rate, time, iMessages, weather app and calendar.

Will this setup work ?

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I don't see why it shouldn't. The watch will take the wifi information from the phone and he'll get messages even if he leaves BT range. The rest he'll get when in range.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
My 90 year old father wants an Apple Watch but does not have an iPhone with cell service. He has an iPhone 5 that he just uses like an iPod.

He is a big Apple fan and just wants an Apple Watch. He is deaf and does not use or want a telephone. Rarely leaves the house so he will always have WiFi or be in bluetooth range.

He will want to use it for heart rate, time, iMessages, weather app and calendar.

Will this setup work ?
Yes, this will definitely work!

When I received my Apple Watch I was having problems trying to update the firmware on the watch due to me using beta software on my iPhone 6+ so I pulled out my ole iPhone 5 and paired the watch to it and proceeded to download the watches software with it!

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)

Will this setup work ?

Your father is my hero btw. That is so cool that at his age, he's that technical… especially if he cannot hear as well. Wow. I hope when I'm 90 that I'm well versed on the flux capacitor, hover boards, etc. (all way overdue!)

Reactions: Ecoh and ZebraDude

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
USA
Thanks for your replies ! He is ordering the 42mm SS watch with milanese band.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
Another "your father is my hero". I got my 80 year old mom an iPad Air, she won't even plug it in, argued with me that I didn't send the cable or charger, :(. Love my moms, but I gave up after that...

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
USA
Another "your father is my hero". I got my 80 year old mom an iPad Air, she won't even plug it in, argued with me that I didn't send the cable or charger, :(. Love my moms, but I gave up after that...

Sounds like my mother. My father loves his iPad, my mother didn't want anything to do with an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.