Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Hi all, I hope you can help, I’ve been trying to read all the terms and conditions and I don’t really feel like I have a clear answer. I bought an iPhone 14 Pro for someone, it was shipped to me directly from Apple about three months ago. It’s still in the shrink wrap. I will be able to finally give it to them tonight, as a gift, And I think they are interested in purchasing apple care+. Will they be able to? I read a lot about 30 days after purchase, but that seems like that wouldn’t work for people that are giving gifts. Of course, this phone has never been activated. Am I correct in assuming that the 60 day period starts upon activation, so they would have 30 days from when they activate it to decide to purchase AppleCare plus? Thank you in advance for clarifying this complicated issue for me!

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
In most countries and regions, you can buy AppleCare+ within 60 days of your device purchase. In Japan, you can buy AppleCare+ within 30 days of your device purchase. In China mainland, you can buy AppleCare+ on your device within 7 days of your device purchase or in an Apple Store within 60 days of your device purchase. (At the Apple Store, you'll need to bring your proof of purchase, and we'll inspect the device.)
That being said, I believe Apple is flexible on this. Contact them as soon as the device is set up and ask.

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
60 days from purchase to buy applecare+ through the Apple support app.

I believe you can still add applecare + even after the 60 days but must be taken to the apple store for inspection. If they want applecare plus added maybe take it to the apple store unopened.

Edit to add: this one is from US. Not sure how other countries handle it

Reactions: blueeyes2die4

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Hi all, I hope you can help, I’ve been trying to read all the terms and conditions and I don’t really feel like I have a clear answer. I bought an iPhone 14 Pro for someone, it was shipped to me directly from Apple about three months ago. It’s still in the shrink wrap. I will be able to finally give it to them tonight, as a gift, And I think they are interested in purchasing apple care+. Will they be able to? I read a lot about 30 days after purchase, but that seems like that wouldn’t work for people that are giving gifts. Of course, this phone has never been activated. Am I correct in assuming that the 60 day period starts upon activation, so they would have 30 days from when they activate it to decide to purchase AppleCare plus? Thank you in advance for clarifying this complicated issue for me!
There is lots of anecdotal evidence that after 60 days (but less than one year) AppleCare+ can be purchased at an Apple Store in the US with proof-of-purchase and an in-store examination of the phone.

First, though, I would check to see if AppleCare+ can be purchased directly on the phone. If so, problem solved.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Thanks all. That's good to know for the future, I am in the US (as is the recipient) so 60 days from purchase date. Luckily in this case, today is day 54! I'll just make sure they know to activate Apple Care+ in the next 5 days - I bet they will decide immediately one way or the other.

Thank you for your replies!

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I purchased my kids iPads for Christmas last year on Black Friday, so they weren’t activated until Christmas Day. I had 60 days from the day I activated them to purchased AppleCare+. I’m also in the US.

Reactions: donawalt

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I purchased my kids iPads for Christmas last year on Black Friday, so they weren’t activated until Christmas Day. I had 60 days from the day I activated them to purchased AppleCare+. I’m also in the US.
Christmas rules can be a bit different (e.g. return policy is no longer 14 days, etc) - but “Normally” it’s based on date of purchase.

Reactions: donawalt

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Christmas rules can be a bit different (e.g. return policy is no longer 14 days, etc) - but “Normally” it’s based on date of purchase.

I’ll find out tomorrow when my iPad mini 6 arrives. I don’t plan to purchased AppleCare+ until the last day I can purchase it.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I’ll find out tomorrow when my iPad mini 6 arrives. I don’t plan to purchased AppleCare+ until the last day I can purchase it.

Why? The coverage is from date of sale of device, not date of AC purchase.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
That is when it begins, but if you look here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/applecare-start-date.2302661/post-30329386 it ends based on when you first registered the device :
Read the AppleCare proof of coverage email for the device. It states: ”Your AppleCare+ coverage is now active, and your Coverage End Date will automatically adjust to two years from the date you first activate your iPhone.”
Basically, by buying later you are loosing on accidental coverage and not gaining anything. It is becoming more expensive if you wait...

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
The email I got when I purchased AppleCare+ for my iPad says that, too. That's confusing boilerplate intended for people who buy AppleCare+ at the same time they buy an Apple device, reassuring them they won't lose coverage for the days the device is in transit.

Note the statement you cite seems to have been removed from current AppleCare+ emails. When I bought my wife's iPad last October, the email said only that the Terms and Conditions were attached.

Importantly, the email is *not* the agreement. The agreement is here:
and says this:

"Plan Term and Renewal
Plan coverage begins when the Plan is purchased or when the Covered Device is shipped (if
shipping is necessary – adjustments are made to account for shipping times) and continues,
unless cancelled, through the date specified in your Plan Confirmation (the “Plan Term”)."

If you check your AppleCare+ email, you should also have a pdf of the identical "Terms and Conditions" as an attachment.
Empirical example:

I bought and activated my iPad on November 30, 2021.

I purchased AppleCare+, from my iPad, on December 9, 2021.

My AppleCare+ expiration date is December 8, 2023, stated in that same email.

I have just re-confirmed that expiration date with Apple.

Reactions: okkibs

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Not true

From the Apple website: “Coverage begins on your AppleCare+ purchase date.”

Correct, any damage before you buy is not covered.

I was not clear by using coverage in a general way. What I meant to say was the term starts when you buy the device, for a fixed term not the date you purchase AC, so waiting does not get you an extra year beyond 2 years from date of purchase of the device.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Just be veeeerrrrry careful with it until then. If it gets damaged before AC+ is on it, that’s not covered.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
I have just re-confirmed that expiration date with Apple.
You are absolutely correct: The AC+ plan runs for the full 2 year duration (or 3 years for some devices like Macs) from date of AC+ purchase. The only -obvious- caveat is that the device needs to be undamaged at the time of the AC+ purchase. And if you just want to extend the regular warranty with AC+, you can actually purchase AC+ towards the end of the included one year warranty and get nearly 3 years warranty coverage. But that is a gamble since Apple does not guarantee this offer, and outside the US I don't know if that is an option at all.

What I meant to say was the term starts when you buy the device, for a fixed term not the date you purchase AC, so waiting does not get you an extra year beyond 2 years from date of purchase of the device.
That is incorrect, what starts with device purchase is the included limited one year warranty. The AC+ plan runs for the full 2 year duration (or 3 years for some devices like Macs) from date of the AC+ purchase. Yes, you can indeed get nearly 3 years of warranty. I know because I've done that. If you do not believe us you can call up Apple and their AC+ department will confirm it.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
That is incorrect, what starts with device purchase is the included limited one year warranty. The AC+ plan runs for the full 2 year duration (or 3 years for some devices like Macs) from date of the AC+ purchase. Yes, you can indeed get nearly 3 years of warranty. I know because I've done that. If you do not believe us you can call up Apple and their AC+ department will confirm it.

I called, and you are correct about the start date, I was wrong. Glad I learned that. It is from the date of AC+ purchase; however you can only purchase it within 60 days in the US and most countries, per the AC rep, so at best you get an additional 60 days not a year.

I thought you had a year, but in the US at least you only have 60 days; no more have it checked and buy after 60 days it per the AC rep and Apple's support page. Per the rep, they used to allow that but have changed the policy; however in some countries Apple still has a 1 year policy apparently.

Reactions: Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Also confirming that AC+ begins from the insurance purchase date. I've just recently bought a MBP in one country and purchased AC+ a month later (well within the 60 days) in another country, the coverage end date reflecting this.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Also confirming that AC+ begins from the insurance purchase date. I've just recently bought a MBP in one country and purchased AC+ a month later (well within the 60 days) in another country, the coverage end date reflecting this.
You are correct. I purchased my iPad mini on May 5th, and activated AppleCare+ today, with an expiration date on 6/25/25.

Reactions: Alpha Centauri
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.