Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ojobson

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Is there a way that MacOS can fill in passwords in Chrome? I don't really want to export my passwords to Chrome if I can avoid it, as I would rather not have all my passwords in my iCloud and Google account. (I have to use Chrome for Work, but use Safari for most other things).

If I did decide to export passwords to Chrome / my google account - is there a tool that can keep them in sync / up to date on both systems?

What other alternatives do people use? Is there a seamless password manager that works across the most platforms and can be trusted? I have Touch ID on phones and MacBook, so it would ideally need to work with that. I have a windows machine too, so I suppose it would be useful to have something that also worked on that, rather than just keep my passwords on apple devices, but Windows compatibility would be a 'nice to have' rather than a 'must'.

Cheers

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I don’t think keychain works with Chrome. I l don’t use Chrome but can’t get it to work with Firefox. I use 1Password because it works on everything and from the videos I’ve watched it doesn’t have security issues.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
I recommend a password manager. I use Bitwarden, and from my understanding it is secure and can be trusted. It supports many browsers and devices, and you can access it through a web vault (I guess other password managers also has that function).

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Back in the day (5-6 years ago), Chrome did use Keychain but dropped it for their own solution.

There is an extension for Chrome and iCloud for Windows.

Personally, I use Keychain and a 3rd party password app and simply copy/paste from them to other browsers when needed. Not using their password managers, so not worried about keeping anything in sync over there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.