Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
I never used to have an issue with handoff / universal clipboard until recently. Copying/pasting between my iPhone (iOS 14.7) and iMac (macOS 11.4) wasn't working at all, so I signed out of iCloud on BOTH the iMac AND the iPhone, then signed back in again on both. Now, I can copy text on my iMac to my iPhone, but when I copy text on my iPhone and try to paste to my iMac, it doesn't' work - it only pastes what's on the iMac's clipboard.

Handoff is enabled on both devices
Mac: System Preferences > General > Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices [checked]
iPhone: Settings > General > Airplay & Handoff > Handoff [enabled]

What gives?

Oh, and it's the EXACT same problem with my old 2012 iMac (running latest version of Catalina) - I can copy something on it and paste it on the iPhone, but can't copy from the iPhone to the 2012 iMac.

An-apple-a-day

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
I never used to have an issue with handoff / universal clipboard until recently. Copying/pasting between my iPhone (iOS 14.7) and iMac (macOS 11.4) wasn't working at all, so I signed out of iCloud on BOTH the iMac AND the iPhone, then signed back in again on both. Now, I can copy text on my iMac to my iPhone, but when I copy text on my iPhone and try to paste to my iMac, it doesn't' work - it only pastes what's on the iMac's clipboard.

Handoff is enabled on both devices
Mac: System Preferences > General > Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices [checked]
iPhone: Settings > General > Airplay & Handoff > Handoff [enabled]

What gives?

Oh, and it's the EXACT same problem with my old 2012 iMac (running latest version of Catalina) - I can copy something on it and paste it on the iPhone, but can't copy from the iPhone to the 2012 iMac.
On your iPhone, do you have bluetooth turned on?

An-apple-a-day

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
You might try a Universal Clipboard test between your two iMacs (taking your iPhone out of the equation)...

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Now I'm having the opposite problem with my M1 Mini and iPhone 13PM. I can copy from my 13PM and paste to the Mini, but can't copy from the Mini and paste to the 13PM 🤦🏼‍♂️ Yes, handoff and Bluetooth are all active on both devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.